What's new
What's new

best portable TIG electrode grinder

rimcanyon

Diamond
Looking for a nice small grinder that I can keep at hand to sharpen TIG electrodes. I was thinking a 2" disk sander would work, but it needs to be electric. Looking for ideas.

koenbro

Plastic
HTP, Baker’s gas and others sell a tungsten sharpener built on a Milwaukee M12 rotary tool. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mjk

Titanium
I'm also curious for input from those that already have some of the portables.
I currently use a 6" diamond flat wheel on a bench grinder
I like the concept, but other than the above mentioned Milwaukee, in listening to the reviews, the motors sound like they're ready to implode

bsg

Titanium
Looking for a nice small grinder that I can keep at hand to sharpen TIG electrodes. I was thinking a 2" disk sander would work, but it needs to be electric. Looking for ideas.

I was looking at getting one of the sharpeners until I saw the prices!

I’m going to keep doing what I’ve done for years, using a cordless drill spinning the tungsten against the diamond wheel on the bench grinder……I do a bunch at a time, both ends, keep them in their case to keep them sorted!

I was thinking about making a guide for the different angles, that’s one of those projects that I’ll get to one day?

Kevin

mjk

Titanium
yes the cordless drill makes a big difference especially when cleaning up a buggered hot tungsten.
I've actually thought about keeping one of my "retired" corded drills next to the grinder
Using a "flat" wheel I can't cut off a section of he electrode, using a standard al ox wheel to rough it to clean

but I'd still consider a portable

FeelerHaasEnco

Plastic

If you are dipping enough to need a hand held one then you need to stop, and go back to practicing... :nono:

A great portable option is a small harbor freight grinder and buy a 3" diamond plated wheel for it. You will need a clamp to hold it down, and a drill to spin the tungsten concentrically. I only sharpen mine to a bullet point, and polish it after grinding on the diamond side. I do this for all materials, and will go more pointy or blunt depending on the arc I want. Works both on inverters and transformers, but will need a ball end for AC transformer machines.

IMG_20211205_174431 by Matt Arentz, on Flickr

IMG_20211205_174459 by Matt Arentz, on Flickr

If I have a job that is out of the shop I will sharpen both ends on 6-8 (cut in half...) and just bring them with. You really shouldn't be dipping more than 10 times in a days work.

IMG_20211125_134555 by Matt Arentz, on Flickr

IMG_20211125_134708 by Matt Arentz, on Flickr