What's new
What's new

Best shop layouts?

ManualEd

Stainless
Starting to plan a new shop building.
One bay in the 60x40 range, with another bay roughly 30x40 to rent out for now, and for future expansion.
3-5 ton overhead bridge crane over the whole shop.
Likely put apartments on the top as well.

Does anyone have layouts they'd be willing to share?
Anything you wish you could do differently?

Hope you own your land!

If you’re near Kelowna and not in center of town, first thing I’d want to be sure of is fire proof construction. And good fire hydrants close by.

Does local code allow legal apartments in a shop building? Or is this just for you?

Do you plan to cool in summer? This may affect ceiling height with cube rule. If mot cooling then 18’ minimum preferably higher.

Can you locate truck door for easy backing into without city parking, pad mounted electrical transformers etc in the way?

I regret not having a high enough ceiling to be able to make a mezzanine. Storage and smaller machines up high. Office, grinders, QA equipment in separate rooms on first floor. These could be air conditioned if rest of shop isn’t. Collector (search his photos on PM) had a great design in his previous shop with bridge crane over entire shop able to pick off mezzanine as well as main floor, in addition to smaller in floor running track cranes and jibs.

Oil furnace if you have plenty of cheap used oil sources nearby. Several ceiling fans.

Have fun! Wish you were closer to me as I’d like to rent a small corner of a shop.

Starting to plan a new shop building.
One bay in the 60x40 range, with another bay roughly 30x40 to rent out for now, and for future expansion.
3-5 ton overhead bridge crane over the whole shop.
Likely put apartments on the top as well.

Does anyone have layouts they'd be willing to share?
Anything you wish you could do differently?
...and where is the list of machine tools you want to locate in said "shop" ?

We aint mind readers....

It's just a 26x80 lathe, 13x50 manual mill and bandsaw right now, but hoping to add a VMC once we have space.

Rather than machine layout, I'm more curious to see how people layout their material rack/saw, office, mezanines etc to allow space to add machines neatly in the future.

Back