What's new
What's new

Best way to clean up an old lathe?

image.jpgThe completed resto. Mineral sprints, lots of brass brushes, and even more good old elbow grease, and a couple of coats of AUE-370 "Hardinge Gray", and you're done!

If you are going to tear it down, then a pressure washer is what I use.
My recent South Bend purchase went to the quarter car wash before I unloaded it out of the pickup. I blew it down with air a few minutes later, then lots of WD40. It did not need much more than that.

I recently bought a SAG 14 that had been nicely repainted, ran well etc.. I decided to change out the oil in the headstock, quick change gear box and the apron. All told close to 5 gallons of oil. The oil window was fogged on the headstock and the Q.C. box. The apron leaked like a sieve. Long story short w/ new seals ordered I took the apron apart and found that recently it had been full of water as the result of pressure washing. The apron top has 2 locating tapered dowels of which one was missing. Saved it just in time!
As Rex mentioned if you do use a pressure washer you will have to go all the way in a teardown to get the water out. I could go on w/ this but will probably do a new post for the Graziano SAG contingent here on PM.

Regards,

Chuck

Ancient thread.....................

But for an old machine, figuring on a tear-down is often the best idea. You find all the swarf that is in the gearbox, and all the other issues that tend to exist with old and neglected machines. Quick and cheap is not always best.

With a tear-down. a bath in lye-based cleaner is an excellent way to get the parts cleaned up.

I recently bought a SAG 14 that had been nicely repainted, ran well etc.. I decided to change out the oil in the headstock, quick change gear box and the apron. All told close to 5 gallons of oil. The oil window was fogged on the headstock and the Q.C. box. The apron leaked like a sieve. Long story short w/ new seals ordered I took the apron apart and found that recently it had been full of water as the result of pressure washing. The apron top has 2 locating tapered dowels of which one was missing. Saved it just in time!
As Rex mentioned if you do use a pressure washer you will have to go all the way in a teardown to get the water out. I could go on w/ this but will probably do a new post for the Graziano SAG contingent here on PM.

For a machine as complex as that, absolutely follow with immediate teardown. All those I have pressure-watched had open headstocks and no sumps at all. In most cases I chose a hot, arid day, and the machine was all but dry when I got to the shop to unload it. With heavy dosage of WD40 followed by aggressive air nozzle treatment I'm confidant all the water was chased out, and the crud with it. But yes, it only works with simple, open machines.

Just one more method... I've found ospho - phosphoric acid - works very well dissolving grease and old machine oil grunge. Works almost instantly on grease, and also converts iron oxide (rust) into iron phosphate - a nice inert sealer, which can be painted over. Usually I apply the Ospho with a chip brush, let soak for a few minutes,then start scrubbing away at he dirt and rust with a rag or steelwool, scotch rite, or brass brush - depending on how well I want to preserve the surface. Generally it doesn't hurt a painted surface, but as insurance, I usually finish cleaning with a spray bottle filled with diesel - spray on, wipe down.

My method for cleaning is to clear off the loose swarf etc and then brush on car engine cleaner, we call it Gunk in the UK, this cuts trough the muck without damaging the paint and emulsifies the oil. The resulting mess is washed off either with a hose or a pressure washer. Then let it dry and repeat the process.
For the painted surfaces I then wipe with white spirit (mineral spirits) and rub down with waterproof paper lubricated with hard soap, this gets the embedded grease off and leaves a good keyfor painting.
The bright metal is rubbed with scotchbright.
Remember that the majority of makers used cellulose based filler and paint sojourn ain't system must workmwiththat.

Back