What's new
What's new

Bidspotter auctions - How To?

SeymourDumore

Diamond
Guys, I have never ever done this, so please excuse whatever stupid questions I might come up with!

There is an upcoming Bidspotter auction in Utah having a machine I am interested in.
Preview is on Dec 13, auction on Dec 14, must remove by is Dec 23.
I am in CT, and I am willing to fly to Utah if needed.

Stupid questions:

1: Do I need to fly out to Utah to arrange for rigging and transport?
2: If not, then are there any options for a logistics service that would handle a pickup in Utah and delivery to a CT destination?
3: I don't even know what other questions I should ask, so please tell me what questions I should ask!

Thank You

Yes, no, maybe. Auction house depedant. Many times there is rigging option listed for a fee. Always a little high, but so easy. If item needs palleting negotiate that into fee. Many ltl items need to be palletized.
Enjoy your field trip, hope you get sweet deal on new toy.

edit: That central machine lathe is rare and precious, just not that rare and precious.
The riggers they list show shipping services, worth seeing what they charge all in to get it to your door.

Last edited:
They list some Riggers on that Auction. I've done this before. Contact more than one and get a shipping quote. You know what machine you want so weight and all that is known. If you win the lot they will put you In contact with a person that's on site and will help you with the logistics. It's really not that big of deal.You don't need to be there unless you just want to. When I did this I couldn't get a truck to move the machine before the day It had to be removed. In my case the rigger stored It at there facility until the truck was available for no extra charge. I used a rigger recommended by the Auction company, But I hired my own truck.

I have done a few of them in MA in the last 2 years. They usually list the rigging companies info on the listing. Usually they have more than 1 to chose from. I had one of them just load my Uhaul with a fork lift. The other one would have needed a pallet built around a barfeeder and swiss lathe, which cost money. Then they had moving and delivery advertised as well.

I decided to have them handle rigging and delivery (if I bought the machine) for $1500. It would have been a $500 truck rental, plus the missed day of work on my end.

The rigger had pricing all set based on the lot #. I told him the lot # and that I was about 125 miles away.

I did go to the shop to look at everything before the auction date. Its pretty easy, you just need to get the right people on the phone to guide you in the right direction.

Good Luck, SLC is easy to fly in and out of. Most of everything is within 30-45 min of the airport.

EDIT: Pedowitz machinery movers, out of Lebanon NJ. He told me he is the biggest on the east coast. A call wouldnt hurt.

I got a quote from Pedowitz to move a Mazak VTC-20 from Detroit to SC of $4,000+.
This machine weighs 12,000 lbs and about 8 ft x 10 ft.
Greg Ross from ATS Logistics got it done for $2,600, as a direct ship, just my machine on the truck.
Call Greg (320) 292-6556. He's a broker, or will use their own trucks. Hopefully you can do it as part of a load. I specified I wanted an air-ride trailer, and fully tarped - they did a great job !
And a local rigger in Detroit pulled the machine out and loaded it on the trailer for $1,000.
Bob

When I was a VP of a used machinery company here in Minneapolis, MN Bidspotter did an auction in St. Paul, I bought some gear machines and when I sent my local licensed and insured machinery mover there to pick up my machines I bought, Bidspotter refused to let them on the property. In the fine print of the auction papers said "Bidspotter had their own riggers and they would load the machines onto peoples trucks" They charged double. So I would suggest you email, call Bidspotter and get it in writing what their loading and rigging charges are. The riggers they had in St. Paul were not local guys. They traveled with the auction company.

I got a quote from Pedowitz to move a Mazak VTC-20 from Detroit to SC of $4,000+.
This machine weighs 12,000 lbs and about 8 ft x 10 ft.
Greg Ross from ATS Logistics got it done for $2,600, as a direct ship, just my machine on the truck.
Call Greg (320) 292-6556. He's a broker, or will use their own trucks. Hopefully you can do it as part of a load. I specified I wanted an air-ride trailer, and fully tarped - they did a great job !
And a local rigger in Detroit pulled the machine out and loaded it on the trailer for $1,000.
Bob

Both of these outfits should be able to handle your app Dumore.
You don't need to go there.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

When I owned a used machinery company I used to use https://www.longhaultrucking.com/ They have Conestoga Style trailers. Lowboys and straight. It's a soft sided tarp cover that rolls over the machines to load and unload the trailer from the sides or overhead cranes. No tarping required. Some of the other LTL movers never tarped the machines after the dispatchers said they would and I was charged and when it rained or snowed the machines got ruined.. Longhaul travels to all the states. I was super happy with them and they were middle of the road priced wise. https://www.longhaultrucking.com/our-trailers/

Whether you go or not depends a lot on the item you are hoping to get. If large and requires disassembly to ship then you need to go or have a tech you trust (best if the same will be reassembling) go to help and supervise the job. I’ve seen disassembly jobs where nothing is marked, cables cut rather than disconnected and pulled and improper securing of loose items which led to shipping damage. All those greatly extended reassembly time/cost. In most cases, erasing any savings one thought they would realize by not making the trip.

Whether you go or not depends a lot on the item you are hoping to get. If large and requires disassembly to ship then you need to go or have a tech you trust (best if the same will be reassembling) go to help and supervise the job. I’ve seen disassembly jobs where nothing is marked, cables cut rather than disconnected and pulled and improper securing of loose items which led to shipping damage. All those greatly extended reassembly time/cost. In most cases, erasing any savings one thought they would realize by not making the trip.
We bought a machine through Bidspotter where we didn't get one of the covers for the loader. It was an important, complicated cover that was shown in the photos of the listing. It turns out that it got scrapped because the rigger didn't realize it went with our machine. So, now I like to be there as the rigger is loading or at least get there before loading to make sure everything that goes with the machine is clearly marked.

There was a group of similar machines (CNC lathe with loader) that sold on Bidspotter a earlier this year. They then showed up on Ebay for cheap. The seller explained that the rigger just cut all the cables between the loader and machine, pretty much destroying them all.

I bought a cpl large lathes at auction 15+ yrs ago that both have divorced control cabinets.
One of them - the riggers cut the warrs in the middle of the crossover ducting.
They DID actually number both ends thankfully, but they could have just unscrewed them in the bulkhead at the end.

My boy sat up on top of the machine for a cpl days with a torch in one hand, and a roll of solder in the other.
He got pretty good at soldering warrs by the time he was done with that.

Funny:
When he went to college a few yrs later, he was taking an electronics class of sorts (computer major) and they asked if anyone had any experience with soldering. He piped up that he did, and they gave him a gun/iron and he was clueless. LOL! His experience was with much bigger application. (16g mostly I think)

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
My curiosity is killing me wondering what machine in that auction is worth shipping across the country? I looked and I'm definitely missing something.

I also wanted to add that I've enjoyed every auction I have ever participated in where the auctioneer's name had "asset recovery" or "disposition" in the name. These guys generally give less than 2 fucks about rigging or technical requirements and the auctioneers are on the hook TO EMPTY THE BUILDING. However, they are not very inclined to assist you in shipping or setting up rigging. Four years ago I even did a couple week stint working for one of these outfits when they auctioned a large local OEM. I got paid very well in stuff and intellectual property. They made some incredible concessions to get a 60K sq ft building cleaned out. I basically said If I had all the parts inventory and support equipment I wanted to legit own the products. They made it happen.

Last edited:
My online auction did not go the way I thought.
I had the machine inspected from a local guy first. When the bidding started it was on a timer countdown between bids. Right at the end it always jumped up. It went over my limit. Auction house called me the next day saying the customer backed out. B.S. They specifically say in the paperwork you sign that is not possible. Be careful with these auction buys my .02 cents

My online auction did not go the way I thought.
I had the machine inspected from a local guy first. When the bidding started it was on a timer countdown between bids. Right at the end it always jumped up. It went over my limit. Auction house called me the next day saying the customer backed out. B.S. They specifically say in the paperwork you sign that is not possible. Be careful with these auction buys my .02 cents

Happens all the time. Assume the auctioneer is a slimy scumbag.

But did you haggle and buy it? I've been in that same situation. A couple days later when the smooth talking scumbucket calls to tell me I can own the machine for my last bid I make a very low offer with the explanation I've already made an alternate purchase and the need is no longer critical.

This is also where it's nice if you did reach out to the actual company selling the stuff before the auction so you can say stuff like "well, when I talked to Steve about this machine as part of my research he said they just want it gone, but the payment needs to go through you guys". or some shit like that.

Happens all the time. Assume the auctioneer is a slimy scumbag.

But did you haggle and buy it? I've been in that same situation. A couple days later when the smooth talking scumbucket calls to tell me I can own the machine for my last bid I make a very low offer with the explanation I've already made an alternate purchase and the need is no longer critical.

This is also where it's nice if you did reach out to the actual company selling the stuff before the auction so you can say stuff like "well, when I talked to Steve about this machine as part of my research he said they just want it gone, but the payment needs to go through you guys". or some shit like that.
Thats exactly what I did,
There rigging there trucking
There auction fees are super high percentage also you have to factor in all these things.
You have to be willing to walk to get bottom dollar.

From my recent experience working for an auctioneer on Bidspotter, the auctioneer can see your max bid, and will bump your bid to its max. Keep that in mind.

Never do a max bid! Bump your bid by the minimum increment and run the clock/their patience out at every bid you place. Act as if you could care less if you lose it. My experience is often times you are bidding against the auctioneers, not other bidders. Show them your give a fuck is very low. I like to lose a lot of bids before they get to the stuff I want. Cements the idea that I'm a cheapskate not worth them pushing for my bids. I guarantee you they look at bidder numbers and watch for patterns and pre-bids. Anyone who prebids is a huge target. Anyone who bids like you want to crush the competition with their wallet they will certainly let you.

A lot of the auctions ask you what your projected spend is. I like to put $10 in that field. I don't know what they use that field for, but I have to think it has something to do with putting your bidder number on a shortlist hanging in front of the shill's face if you tell them a big amount. I mean if I tell you $10, but I then end up spending $50k are they going to say no?

I agree with all the point others have made but want to point out the difference between Bidspotter and the auction house. It sounded like some were referring to bidspotter as the auction house, but they are just the platform; in this case IRS auctions is the auctioneer. The auctioneer has more to do with how the sale goes than bidspotter does.

I saw Pedowitz mentioned a few times and not to get off track, but I generally avoid them at this point. They may claim to be the largest, but I would not call them the best. I have used their NJ division and their Carolina division. Their prices are usually competitive, but that is because they only show up if they line up multiple loads. If they dont get enough loads they will no show on you. I paid a truck to get loaded by their Carolina division and they canceled on me the morning the truck was already headed there. I had to eat that truck cost and find another rigger. Ray at their NJ division was good to work with on the phone as was their office staff, but the foreman they sent was the most unprofessional and incompetent rigger I have ever meet. There was another PM member their while I was getting loaded by them and he commented to me how shocked he was at the way they acted. They tried to lift a cnc lathe by the sheetmetal, they trammed a Hardinge across a gravel parking lot by just forking under the base, when it almost fell the solution was to have a guy ride on the forks to hold onto it, rather than getting skates out they backup and got a run and go with a versalift to get a VMC to slide out of a corner, I could go on. To make matters worse, they were total assholes on top of it.

Back to your situation. As others have mentioned, their are riggers for that sale listed. It is in your best interest financially to use one of the listed riggers rather than finding your own, unless you have bought multiple machines and are filling a truck. They usually list a couple riggers, but with a sale that size only one will show up. I suggest calling the site contact from IRS and asking which rigger is likely to come and then call that rigger for a quote. They may not know which rigger is coming until after the sale though, thats not uncommon. I didn't see the site contact listed in the details of that sale, so I would call IRS and ask for the site contacts information, the office people wont know shit, you need to talk to the guy at the site.

I saw some folks mention that when they have used bidspotter their was a rigging fee included. This sale doesn't have that but some do. As a general FYI, this is called an ERRA, exclusive rigging & removal agent. These are usually very completive even though some said they were expensive. They are usually only expensive on minor items like charging $100 to load a small band saw or grinder that might only sell for $100. If there is an ERRA agent listed but no price, call before bidding or you can get hammered, it sounds like this is what Richard described. I had a buddy get smacked $1000 to load a Bridgeport. On the good side of an ERRA, I have had large cnc machines loaded for as little as $500. Expect to pay $1000-$3000 for a machining or turning center and a few hundred for a manual machine outside of an ERRA. If the sale is small though and there is not a lot of work for the riggers it can get expensive.

I have found getting the stars of trucking and rigging aligned for auctions can be nauseating. You need to thread a needle that isn't there in a private sale. If you have used a freight broker for anything you know their issues and once a rigger is mostly finished, you need to be out of there or they will leave on you and then you need to pay extra for them to remob if they even will. If you are not familiar with freight broker issues, they don't tell you the whole truth. They say a truck is headed there when they are still trying to find one, they will have a truck at your door in 12 hours; at midnight, when you asked them to be their in 2 days from 8-5, ect. Pedowitz is the only one to ever stick me on this, but I have gotten close a few other times. You just need to stay on top of it. Once you buy it, you need to start arraigning loading and transport immediately, you don't have days to decide, the earlier you communicate the better.

Others mentioned some of the riggers offer load and transport. I have found this favorable in short regional moves like Dan described, but your going a long way. I would ask for a quote to see what it costs, but a general freight carrier will likely be cheaper. This can be seen in the comparison between ATS Logistics, a general freight carrier, and Pedowitz, a regional machinery mover. I would expect Pedowitz to always cost more, but it will be on a conestoga trailer like Richard described and will likely have a single driver from A to B where the general freight carrier may have a conestoga but more than likely will be tarped on a flatbed and the trailer will go through regional hubs and possibly see multiple drivers. A dedicated machinery mover will likely go smoother but will also cost more. The arraignment VTM described is a combination of these two modes and is offered by a lot of the riggers, it will be worth asking about store and ship options when you ask for a quote. It will likely cost a little more than having the rigger load right onto a general freight carrier but will be easier to arrange.

On the actual bidding, as Garwood said, never prebid on anything even if it is a timed auction. The house bidding dalmatiangirl61 described can be nefarious but can also be the sale arraignment. Some auctioneers offer a floor price on certain machines for the sellers, where the auction house will buy the equipment and resell it themselves if it doesn't meet certain price minimums. This usually is not the case, especially if it is a court ordered sale and as Garwood said in more colorful terms, it is where deals can be found. One item I don't believe others have touched on is the actual bidding. This sale is a live webcast sale. That means you will need to log on at a certain time and listen to the auctioneer like you would at an in person auction and then click on the bid button the same as you would raise a paddle at an auction. This is good and bad. You can get great deals at this style auction, but you can also make mistakes. Couple things to note on this type of sale, the auctioneer usually starts at the price they expect it to sell for based on past sales. They may start a manual lathe at $5,000, then quickly go to $2,000, $1,000, $100; typically no one bids until the bottom but the auctioneers are usually pretty close to the final price on their opening bid ask. Be careful with the bid button during this time. There will be a lag between what the auctioneer says and the bid amount on the screen shows. You may think you just bid $100, but you actually bid $1000. They also group lots on the fly. Also be careful with this. They may do a "one money", "times the money", or "buyers choice". One money, the amount you bid gets both items; times the money, if they group 4 lots together you will pay 4 times the bid amount; buyers choice you get to choose which lot or lots you will take for your high bid and you can take one item or all of them. If you only select 2 out of 4 items you will pay twice the bid amount and they will run the bid again until all lots are gone. I have had auction houses bid a one money then charge me a times the money, if this happens call the auction home office immediately, don't wait until the sale is over. You can see what they have charged you in the "items won" tab. I have also been the second place bidder on items and then been charged the final bid amount when I wasn't the winner and didn't bid that high, be careful and review your invoice thoroughly for these situations. On the bid button, it can change quickly on you. If bidding is moving fast on an item, be careful, you may think you are bidding $100 but end up hitting $200 and its no longer a deal; this is more an issue on low cost items. Some auction houses will change auctioneers in the middle of a sale. Be careful when this happens and the tempo changes. The previous auctioneer may have been holding bids open longer and the new auctioneer moves much quicker, this is when deals can be had or lost.

Like Garwood, im curious what your interest is here due to the distance your willing to travel, but also understand why you dont want to say until the sale is over. To be honest, I would never even post about an auction im interested in. The two manual machines that stick out to me are the Grand Rapids cutter grinder and the Mori manual lathe. Those Grand Rapids are stout units. The Mori manual lathes seem to pop up a lot out west, but you dont see them in the east very often this may be why Garwood dosent see it as being very unique, but also being on the east coast I can see the appeal in that one. On the CNC gear, maybe the pre DMG duraturn due to capacity and chuck clearance relative to footprint, but its a linear way machine not the box way SL style machine.

Back