What's new
What's new

Black Diamond BW-80 Drill Grinder- Tips for best results needed

gloftness

Plastic
Just purchased a nice drill grinder which will do 1/16 to 3/4. I have the manual and have read posts that I could find- most relate to needed collets and parts. I am sitting pretty good on that. I've tried a few bits and just getting used to the initial setup.

My question is more related to process of actually grinding- so looking for someone that has used a Black Diamond of any size as I think they all are pretty much the same-
Once the bit is loaded, and rotated using the appropriate indexer on top, I'm wondering about the actual grinding-

1) do you rotate only clockwise on the cam, starting at the lip? Or do you go back and forth on each side?

2) is it normal to need to move the stone quite a new bit for each collet selected? It does not say anything about this in the manual

Mainly just interested in comments from users about what they do after the bit is indexed and locked in the appropriate collet. Describe what works well for you.

Mine has just a bit of play in the pivot shaft that the whole collet/cam swivel. I'd like to tighten that up eventually but doubt it would affect much if it is biased down when grinding. Anyone rebuild that?

Thanks!

Terry Keeley

Stainless
Be sure your wheel is properly dressed and take very light cuts. I find if you just vary the amount of (forward) pressure you put on the drill you can hear/feel how much is being ground. I tend to go back and forth on direction.

I have an older style with the individual setters and have them set up so that I don't have to move the wheel much if any for small to larger drills.

One of the best tools I ever bought.

eKretz

Diamond; Mod Squad
You are only meant to rotate the holder clockwise. By "move the stone" I assume you mean moving the grinding wheel? You should never need to move the grinding wheel except when dressing the wheel. After the drill is indexed and locked in the collet, you should need to do nothing except insert the holder into the guide and hold it into contact with the cam while rotating it. When it has sparked out you are done. If the drill is not cleaned up, you loosen the collet, re-index the drill in the indexing presetter and re-lock the collet. Then restart the process again, checking if the drill has cleaned up after it has sparked out a subsequent time. If so, you are done. If not, repeat. Then split the point if you have a point splitter.

The pivot can be readily tightened up by screwing in the pivot screws at the top or bottom of the pivot. They are male pointed set screws that sit down into female pointed receptacles in the holder. Tighten the screw until the pivot moves freely but with no slop. It might be advisable to disassemble, clean and add a dab of grease at each pivot if this machine is new to you. There should be a felt washer acting as a sort of "wiper" or grit block at each pivot as well - if this is missing you would be well advised to replace it.

Also, the presetters can be individually set for the amount taken off of each size range by setting the distance from the flat face of the presetter to the flat part of the indexer using a depth micrometer. I generally set my smallest range for about .010" shy of the distance where the wheel is dressed if I'm using a dressable wheel. A little more for the larger sizes.

gloftness

Plastic
Thanks much for the comments. Seems like a great machine. Need to do some cleanup and adjustments.