What's new
What's new

Boesheild T-9, Jug or Aerosol Can?

snowman

Diamond
Mostly as the title says.

The humid Michigan weather has rusted all of my tools that I had in cold storage. I've used Boeshield in the can, but it's pricey (12oz = $20). I'm thinking about just buying the jug and getting a home depot sprayer. Anybody done this? How'd it work out for you?

I had the same thought after coughing up $18 a can. I’ll buy a jug next and fill bottles, it should last my life time.
I sure it will work fine. I buy WD 40 by the gallon and fill spray bottles. Don’t see why boe lube would be different.

It's got wax in it, and there was an issue with a batch where they had too much wax and were having issues with it clogging the can. Hence, I wasn't sure if there are issues pumping it through a sprayer.

Dupont "chain saver" is less then half the price. It is a liquid spary that leaves wax behind. I think it would work for you.
BILL D

Give Amsoil metal protectant #1 a try. It comes in a spray can and it seems to work well. Nothing scientific but I have an exposed machined plate on my mill in the humid garage where cars drag in salt brine in the winter. No rust on it in about 5 years. Their #2 protectant dries into a thick waxy film which is not what we want on tools etc.

It's got wax in it, and there was an issue with a batch where they had too much wax and were having issues with it clogging the can. Hence, I wasn't sure if there are issues pumping it through a sprayer.
So use a suction blow gun.

Jugs is the only way we ever used Boeshield with Paint guns. Failure to quickly clean the guns well meant we replaced them often.

This was an architectural blacksmithing shop. And I was the guy putting all those different iron oxides on those parts. Stopping the patina for posterity was actually someone else so I don't have much advice on cleaning those guns or how thoroughly

A year ago I started running a dehumidifier in my garage. No more rust on the tools. I would never go back to trying to coat everything.

Mostly as the title says.

The humid Michigan weather has rusted all of my tools that I had in cold storage. I've used Boeshield in the can, but it's pricey (12oz = $20). I'm thinking about just buying the jug and getting a home depot sprayer. Anybody done this? How'd it work out for you?
My understanding is that Boeshield is mostly Lanolin in a carrier.
Dunno why anyone would have a big deal cleaning it, as shooting some solvent through the paint gun afterwards is SOP.
Heat helps a lot too. Heat lamp or such.

I'd explore the dehumidifier options too. Get one that you don't have to empty, ie: it vents in to the plumbing, or out in a dry well in the yard.

Dunno why anyone would have a big deal cleaning it, as shooting some solvent through the paint gun afterwards is SOP.
Heat helps a lot too. Heat lamp or such.
Was a few decades ago, before I gained much experience in painting, the key parts being all we did was Boeshield (everything had a patina we tried isolate from further rusting) we did a lot of it and guns were regularly bought. It could well be that it was cheaper to get the guns than the labor to keep them functional for an extended period of time.

Compared to the mutagenic/ teratogenic carcinogenic caustic and explosive epoxies I deal with now it is a walk in the park I'd imagine

Was a few decades ago, before I gained much experience in painting, the key parts being all we did was Boeshield (everything had a patina we tried isolate from further rusting) we did a lot of it and guns were regularly bought. It could well be that it was cheaper to get the guns than the labor to keep them functional for an extended period of time.

Compared to the mutagenic/ teratogenic carcinogenic caustic and explosive epoxies I deal with now it is a walk in the park I'd imagine
I spent a bunch of my career working aircraft structures, and did a lot of painting. It's pretty amazing, how well a 'bad' spray gun can work, when you take the few minutes to clean out all the little jets and orfices. I had a set of those cheap drills from an import tool Co., that were sized 60 thru 80, and the back ends of those worked a treat for pushing build up out of blocked holes.

I'm told that this stuff is what was used for the Rusty Jones treatment on cars
It's gone up quite a bit in price since I last bought a quart. I don't know how that compares in price to Boeshield.

I'm told that this stuff is what was used for the Rusty Jones treatment on cars
It's gone up quite a bit in price since I last bought a quart. I don't know how that compares in price to Boeshield.
Years ago I bought 10 spray cans of Boesheild T90 . Still have 2 cans left. Do not recall what I paid but I recall it was on sale. I do not have a humidity problem, I use it gears and sprockets mostly.

Antiseize Technologies makes a decent version of this stuff too. This is the 'Heavy' version, they also have a 'Light. ' Similar to LPS3 vs LPS2 I guess. Bit cheaper than Boeshield.

I've considered buying a jug, but 1 spray can lasts a long time. I just spray a squirt in the general area I need it and rub it around with my fingers. I put on a rubber glove if I'm doing a lot.

A spray can of Boeshield goes a lot farther than other spray cans.

Back