What's new
What's new

Boring and Honing Machines for Sale

I'd like to know dimensions on the SIP jig bore, it looks like a smaller one, but without something in the pic for scale it is hard to tell. 2 questions, since I've never run one, does table have power feeds? Diameter of quill/spindle? Thank you.

I'd like to know dimensions on the SIP jig bore, it looks like a smaller one, but without something in the pic for scale it is hard to tell. 2 questions, since I've never run one, does table have power feeds? Diameter of quill/spindle? Thank you.
I'll get you some dimensions asap. Not sure about the power feeds the machine, but it's it basically new condition.

Here is a link to the lathe.co.uk web sight that has the specifications for this machine.

The machine has power rapid on the cross rail. This is strictly a drilling and boring machine. The handwheels have a coarse and fine adjustment. The coarse feed is at least 1/2" per revolution and the fine is maybe .010 per revolution. This machine has the compensated leadscrews.

Last edited:
Here is a link to the lathe.co.uk web sight that has the specifications for this machine.

The machine has power rapid on the cross rail. This is strictly a drilling and boring machine. The handwheels have a coarse and fine adjustment. The coarse feed is at least 1/2" per revolution and the fine is maybe .010 per revolution. This machine has the compensated leadscrews.
Thanks for that link, I was looking for info last night on VM and came up empty. I'm wondering how hard it would be to add a power feed box to the table hand wheel? How do you think it would handle fly cutting a 6" x 12" aluminum surface, only .002 depth of cut, single pass whole surface? Were there adapters to go from the 2MT internal/??? external taper to a collet system? The fly cutter has a 1" shank.

Thanks for that link, I was looking for info last night on VM and came up empty. I'm wondering how hard it would be to add a power feed box to the table hand wheel? How do you think it would handle fly cutting a 6" x 12" aluminum surface, only .002 depth of cut, single pass whole surface? Were there adapters to go from the 2MT internal/??? external taper to a collet system? The fly cutter has a 1" shank.
The machine has a 1 HP motor, so it would handle the cut. The problem would be in holding the cutter. This machine has a Morse #2 internal tape and a SIP 2e external taper so you would need to make your own fly cutter. As I said in a previous post this is strictly a drilling and boring machine. There were Morse #2 shank tool holders that went to about 1/2" the tooling that went on the SIP 2e taper were all boring tools.

If you were east of the Mississippi, I'd take the Moore, but it just isn't worth the diesel. Please please please do not scrap it.

That was a really good read!

Looks like he’s machines are just end up going to scrap.
Your current asking prices are about 20x higher than scrap. Pretty sure you can still make some profit on these if you reevaluate your prices.

If you're ready to let these go for scrap value I'll price out a trailer. Planning on driving through the area in July.

Your current asking prices are about 20x higher than scrap. Pretty sure you can still make some profit on these if you reevaluate your prices.

If you're ready to let these go for scrap value I'll price out a trailer. Planning on driving through the area in July.
How did you come up with 20X scrap value cast iron steel mix is $120.00 a ton in Phoenix Arizona

How did you come up with 20X scrap value cast iron steel mix is $120.00 a ton in Phoenix Arizona

Yeah you’re right, I reread the thread and somehow I had glossed over post #15 where the prices became reasonable. The original $5k for the SIP is about 20x.

You must not have ever used it because that statement is clueless and not accurate.

It's obsolete as in not being a current model. It's not obsolete in it's capabilities, although not as capable as a 1660

The 1660 has two controls for stone pressure, OP's (MBB1290 ?) has one. Big difference there

1660 has 12 speeds, OP's has 4 I believe.

And no I haven't used the 1290 I have, don't need to.

The 1660 has two controls for stone pressure, OP's (MBB1290 ?) has one. Big difference there
Just for future reference, that's the differene between Sunnen's "industrial" line and the automotive line. Industrial has rough and finish stone pressure setting, automotive just one. Otherwise they are pretty much the same (different color too, I think. Red and green ?)

That's an obsolete Sunnen, can't remember the model (I have one sitting in the corner somewhere) Can't get spares for it I believe. Cost me a U-Haul rental stakebed with a lift gate and 6 hours driving/loading/unloading. About what it was worth to me.

A newer 1660 is worth $1000 on a very good day.

It might be a good deal if it had a full set of mandrels/stones/truing sleeves etc.
A newer 1660 at a $1000 would be a steal seeing that a new 1660 is over $15k

Just for future reference, that's the differene between Sunnen's "industrial" line and the automotive line. Industrial has rough and finish stone pressure setting, automotive just one. Otherwise they are pretty much the same (different color too, I think. Red and green ?)
It's light and heavy cutting pressure. The light cutting pressure can be fine tuned when working with small mandrels under 3/8".

1660 has a top speed of 2500RPM and the 1290 is 400rpm

1660 has a V belt drive flat belt that can transmit more torque to the spindle than the straight flat belt drive on the 1290.

They quite making the 1290 in the mid sixties. The 1660 didn't come along until the late seventies.

Back