What's new
What's new

Bought used bridge port need help to plug it in!

antifaction

Plastic
Hi, I'm a new owner of a Bridgeport mill. I have not plugged it in yet as I am hoping to get some guidance here. The Bridgeport is a 1970 model with a 1J step pully head. The motor says it's 110/230 volt single phase 3/4 horse. Now I'm worried that the previous owner might have this wired for 110 (unfortenatly the precious owner is senile and cannot help). I'm just worried as I have a lot of money into this. The front of the motor does say "wired for 230 volt". The motor has three wires coming from it. A bare with with cardboard around it and a white And black. Any advise here?

I have pictures of the electrical boxes and the motor plate but I'm away from home and will post them when I get back.

What would happen if this is wired for 110 and I plug it into 220 or visa versa? If this is 220 does it matter which hot is which? I assume that if this is 110 that I should just match the wire colours up.

Thank you.

register

Hot Rolled
The easiest way to tell will be to open it up yourself. A quick search for "wiring bridgeport motor" on PM will yield what you are looking for.

Do not just plug the motor in.

Henry

L Vanice

Diamond
Ant, you forgot to say whether the previous owner installed a plug on the power cord, and whether it is still installed. That would make your solution rather trivial, so I suppose you don't have a plug on the power cord.

If the plug has been cut off, or if the machine was wired direct to a safety switch, then you need to get into the motor wiring and compare with the hi-lo voltage connection diagram (found on most dual voltage motors).

Larry

antifaction

Plastic
Yes Larry, there is no plug.

I think I know what you are talking about there is a electrical box with 9 connections. I took the cover off in search of a wiring diagram but there was none to be found. Can anyone help me find the wiring diagram based on the motor plate??

Thank you,

-Ben

P.S. Larry, look where the motor was made :)

IMG_3707.jpg

IMG_3708.jpg

IMG_3711.jpg

IMG_3712.jpg

IMG_3714.jpg

L Vanice

Diamond
Here is a generic dual voltage capacitor motor wiring diagram. If you can figure out which wires are L-1, etc. it should help.

Larry

Attachments

• Dual Volt Cap Wiring.JPG
    Dual Volt Cap Wiring.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 33,691

S_W_Bausch

Diamond
Sherlock Holmes wouldn't need a schematic!

If you could check the electricals at the previous shop, were there 240 volt circuits?

Were all the outlets 120 volt, or were there dryer or range or air conditioner receptacles?

Low voltage isn't as catastrophic as high voltage; hook it up to 120 volts, on a 15 amp circuit (breakers aren't that protective, but it's better than nothing).

Set up a step ladder so you can keep an eye on the motor, and while you are it, set up the belt for low-speed.

Chuck up a 1/2 inch or larger drill, clamp down a scrap of 1/4 inch or larger plate, and drill some holes. How did it go? Check the motor, is it getting hot?

Does it seem to run okay, or not?

If you had an Amprobe, you would have it clamped over one of the motor wires, seeing what current you are drawing.

Anyway, you get the idea.

Just don't go unhooking those wires until you have made a drawing of the hookup, and if a wire doesn't have a number on it, you need to install a number on it.

Of course, a schematic is the best way to go.

Good Luck.

antifaction

Plastic
Well, I never did find the wiring schematic for this motor but the guy who used to run this mill was able to tell me he was sure it was wired for 220 and never 110. I plugged it in and I'm cutting away. Now I need to order me some tooling! Thanks for the advise everyone.

-Ben