What's new
What's new

Bound Volumes of American Machinist

Phil Scranton

Plastic
Dear PM Antiquers,
I'm in possession of a long run of American Machinist, which I rescued from the Drexel University Library storage 20+ years ago when they were doing a massive discard of old technology journals. It runs from 1898 through 1926, 40 bound volumes (two for some years), covering the start of the auto industry, electrification of machining, World War One and lots more. I live in Philadelphia and will gladly hand them over to someone who can pick them up, but I can't ship them.
These are treasures, as you all know. They have been microfilmed, but so far as I know, only a smattering of issues are available online. Any takers?
Best regards, Phil Scranton - [email protected]

Years ago, I had my local library pull from storage a few circa 1905-1925 issues of American Machinist and Machinery. I was hoping to study the ads, looking for early Hardinge Brothers advertising. When I began going through these wonderful old hardbound volumes, I found that they had no ads at all. I suspect the publishers bound these no-ad versions specifically for libraries. I am sure the books are full of great information, but not what I wanted.

I have a 1911 single issue of The Iron Age and it has hundreds of illustrated ads for all sorts of machine tools and related stuff. There is even an index of the ads, showing that Hardinge was not one of their advertisers. Can't win them all.

Anyway, I wonder if those Drexel library volumes have ads.

Larry

Years ago, I had my local library pull from storage a few circa 1905-1925 issues of American Machinist and Machinery. I was hoping to study the ads, looking for early Hardinge Brothers advertising. When I began going through these wonderful old hardbound volumes, I found that they had no ads at all. I suspect the publishers bound these no-ad versions specifically for libraries. I am sure the books are full of great information, but not what I wanted.

I have a 1911 single issue of The Iron Age and it has hundreds of illustrated ads for all sorts of machine tools and related stuff. There is even an index of the ads, showing that Hardinge was not one of their advertisers. Can't win them all.

Anyway, I wonder if those Drexel library volumes have ads.

Larry

Try "Canadian Metalworking" magazine

Started in 1905, lots of pdf copies in internet archive. Loaded full of ads.

The wartime stuff is especially interesting to me.

I can pick them up, I am not far from you. I am the curator at the Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association and I would donate them to the organization.

Dear enginebill,
I have one person ahead of you in line. He is, however, from Iowa and is working to arrange a pickup in the near future. If this doesn't work out, can I get back to you about taking the AMs? All best, Phil Scranton

Back