What's new
What's new

Brand new machine tips?

Hugidugi

Plastic
Hi ,
I am the lucky one who is going to be the machinist in charge of the new machine at my job. The Soraluce TA-M35 (Milling And Turning machine with a Heidenhain monitor). Which means that my boss put me in charge of organizing the workstation attached to it. I was wondering if you had any good ideas for a good setup. What should I do when I receive a brand new machine?
Do you have any tips for keeping it clean and in good condition for a long time?

Maybe not so much machine related, but watch this video below. While I never implemented any of the things in the video, it does kind of get you thinking outside of the box as far as work station design and setting up your work area.

Maybe not so much machine related, but watch this video below. While I never implemented any of the things in the video, it does kind of get you thinking outside of the box as far as work station design and setting up your work area.

Interesting thank you.

The Soraluce TA-M35 (Milling And Turning machine with a Heidenhain monitor).
Had to look it up... VTL style turning with 1250mm diameter table and 2100mm swing. 5-axis milling and grinding capability.

Hell of a machine indeed.

Which means that my boss put me in charge of organizing the workstation attached to it.
I'd start with the overhead crane and meter-thick concrete foundation.

Keep up with the maintenance. Since you are setting up the manufacturing cell, you should make is super convenient to do maintenance. It's already something that most people don't want to do, if it's convenient, it will take some of the burden away from the person performing the maintenance. For example, if you need way fluid, and the funnel is across the shop, the fluid is in a cabinet on the other side of the shop and pig mats are locked in a closet somewhere... Who's going to want to collect all that stuff and then put it back after they're done. Make a spot for it local to the machine, with everything you need to perform all the maintenance. Rags, Funnels, pig mats, fluids, filters, tools, mops, cleaning supplies, etc, all on one shelf or cabinet by the machine.

Do the same thing with tools. If you have an issue with people taking tools from other stations, its not a people issue, it's an organizational issue. That means it's easier to go to the station next to you and steal their allen keys than it is to go to the cabinet and grab a new allen key. Have a set of all tools and an easy process to replace the tools when damaged or missing.

Make sure walk ways are clear and easy to navigate. Nothing worse than having to step over something on the floor or around a table when you're carrying a heavy or oily object. No cables, tubes, hoses, parts, baskets, buckets, or rags on the floor in a walkway. Not only a tripping hazard but just a messy look for your shop. Some cables and hoses might be unavoidable and you can get tie downs so people don't trip.

Lastly, listen to your staff. They're the ones doing the work, management should make it easier for them to do the work. Listen to them and help them. A good manager leads the group to success. That doesn't mean you should be a push over either. If they need more rags or baskets, figure it out for them or delegate someone to do it. If they want something unreasonable, kindly let them know that you'll think it over.

Just my two cents. I was in charge of putting together some cells at my old job and I found this to help me and the team a lot.

Hi ,
I am the lucky one who is going to be the machinist in charge of the new machine at my job. The Soraluce TA-M35 (Milling And Turning machine with a Heidenhain monitor). Which means that my boss put me in charge of organizing the workstation attached to it. I was wondering if you had any good ideas for a good setup. What should I do when I receive a brand new machine?
Do you have any tips for keeping it clean and in good condition for a long time?

Boy look at all the 1 inch square parts you can put on it I'm jealous.

Hi ,
For that machine, three brooms: a short handle broom and a long handle broom for inside the machine, and a regular broom for outside of the machine. As another said, keep in a closet near the machine with other supplies.
I had no idea what a Soraluce TA-35M was. Wow, what a machine, and company for that matter. How the big important stuff gets made. Congrats to you for the obvious respect your company has for you to be in charge of such a capable machine. Go slow, but keep going forward and you’ll be fine.

Back