What's new
What's new

Bridge colapse in China

I suppose the fact that the highly paid caltrans engineers decided to save a buck by not paying for heat treating is like folks here saying china can not make quality goods. Either that company or many in china can make quality goods but quality work, proper materials and correct heat treats all add to the cost. Do you want cheap or do you want quality.
America has spoken and it wants cheap at any cost.
Bill D.

China has the skills and the tools, to send a man into space. I do not think they used tools cheap enough to be sold at the dollar store two for one sale.
Bill D

I suppose the fact that the highly paid caltrans engineers decided to save a buck by not paying for heat treating ...
That's the story out of the supplier's mouth. We will probably never know what actually happened, but let's put it this way - if I sold some bearings to a customer, there's no way in hell I'd tell them "Okay here they are, you better go have them heat treated later."

And normalizing has to happen within a certain time frame after quench and temper, like, right after or the part is going to start cracking. As the knowledgeable suppliers of these parts, the manufacturer was in a specialized business and responsible for the performance of the end product.

Whatever actually happened, it was all in the US, so blaming "China" for a poorly-managed, fuckedup process is totally dishonest.

(btw, the China end of it was handled abominably also. One of the few times I went out with expats was to a new wine bar on Xinzha lu. One of the guys there was supposed to be supervising the construction of the spans. He had plenty of stories but the appalling part was, his supervisors in the US refused to listen or do anything. So much for American "knowhow" and "management skills". The rest of that night was typical, HC busted my identity to Green-Eyed Lady, married to the head of Abbott Laboratories and screwing everything that walked, later we ended up doing shots off the boobs of the bar girls over on Jiaozhou lu, back when it was fun. You guys and your "freedumb", you don't have a clue. Most of the foreigners that went to China ended up going home six months later, broke, drunk, divorced, and totally messed up by their brush with actual freedom.)

It was interesting when they built a bridge across the Sacramneto river 15 miles away from the new bay Bridge. The steel was made in China in big sections. Then it came over by barge. The barges were also made in China Or, at least not made in the USA..
Maritime law meant they could not dock and wait to be unloaded and shift around and re-dock. So they anchored in midstream until completely unloaded then they can dock and let the crew have a break on shore. Then go home.
Law says they have to go dock outside the us between each USA port.
Bill D

I suppose the fact that the highly paid caltrans engineers decided to save a buck by not paying for heat treating is like folks here saying china can not make quality goods. Either that company or many in china can make quality goods but quality work, proper materials and correct heat treats all add to the cost. Do you want cheap or do you want quality.
America has spoken and it wants cheap at any cost.
Bill D.
Only perhaps where they screw up. It could be a lot worse especially if they were made in Australia. :)

That's the story out of the supplier's mouth. We will probably never know what actually happened, but let's put it this way - if I sold some bearings to a customer, there's no way in hell I'd tell them "Okay here they are, you better go have them heat treated later."

And normalizing has to happen within a certain time frame after quench and temper, like, right after or the part is going to start cracking. As the knowledgeable suppliers of these parts, the manufacturer was in a specialized business and responsible for the performance of the end product.

Whatever actually happened, it was all in the US, so blaming "China" for a poorly-managed, fuckedup process is totally dishonest.

(btw, the China end of it was handled abominably also. One of the few times I went out with expats was to a new wine bar on Xinzha lu. One of the guys there was supposed to be supervising the construction of the spans. He had plenty of stories but the appalling part was, his supervisors in the US refused to listen or do anything. So much for American "knowhow" and "management skills". The rest of that night was typical, HC busted my identity to Green-Eyed Lady, married to the head of Abbott Laboratories and screwing everything that walked, later we ended up doing shots off the boobs of the bar girls over on Jiaozhou lu, back when it was fun. You guys and your "freedumb", you don't have a clue. Most of the foreigners that went to China ended up going home six months later, broke, drunk, divorced, and totally messed up by their brush with actual freedom.)

Pretty dark stuff EG. Guess no one holds the patent on sin now a days.

Pretty hard core EG. Maybe my ex wrote this one and you just quoted it.:D
Nah. When people pull totally retarded garbage out there ass, someone should stand up and feed it back to them. It's kind of like being a 1935 German and saying the nazis are assholes, but someone should do it.

Pretty dark stuff EG. Guess no one holds the patent on sin now a days.
You are opposed to freedom ? Partying is a bad thing ? Or the fact that the guy's management in the US refused to listen to him ? :D

If anyone cares to read the reports,the bolt maker took great care to exclude hydrogen,the bolts were dry garnet blasted ,and immediately hot dipped........if fact ,the reports say that the source of hydrogen was salt water ingress into the uncompleted structure over the time between testing and installation.....the reports also seem to say if any precautions taken to keep salt water out of the threads,the bolts would not have broken.....suggested simple painting may have prevented the problem.

If anyone cares to read the reports,the bolt maker took great care to exclude hydrogen,the bolts were dry garnet blasted ,and immediately hot dipped........if fact ,the reports say that the source of hydrogen was salt water ingress into the uncompleted structure over the time between testing and installation.....
That's only one of several different claims. That was the one proposed by the company that made the fasteners, btw. The other, more thorough one, is now a 404. Good thing history is not written on the internet, we wouldn't know anything more than two years old.

I don't remember if they said they baked the parts after galvanizing tho, which is what they should have done. Hot dipping is not hot enough to bake out the hydrogen.

Anyway, the point was, contrary to the long article linked here, the fasteners were made in Ohio, not China.

I quoted from the actual reports,not some PR release by the boltmakers........as in fact the reports are preserved in the PM tarpits for all time......The authorities have decided to ignore the broken bolts ,as they are part of some experimental earthquake safety device,not normally part of the load bearing structure,and decided there wont be any earthquakes before the next political cycle

Back