What's new
What's new

Bridgeport EZ Trak DX 480 Volt to 240 ????

mcbassin

Aluminum
I just purchased an older model EZ DX (1995 or 96)? It has 480Volts on the tag. Does anyone know if the transformer can be changed to accept 240 volts? Does anyone have a schematic or a wiring diagram?
thanks,
Mike

HWElecRepair

Hot Rolled
Ya its just the tap on the transformer needs to get changed. Can you get us a pic of the inside of the cabinet and the transformer specifically?

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

mcbassin

Aluminum
Ya its just the tap on the transformer needs to get changed. Can you get us a pic of the inside of the cabinet and the transformer specifically?

Jon
H&W Machine Repair
Thanks Jon. I found a diagram in another forum that I think is like this machine. But I can’t find a diagram of the motor windings.

HWElecRepair

Hot Rolled
If you are talking about the spindle motor and are going to low voltage, its on the plate on the motor. Wiretie 4 5 and 6 together, then your legs of incoming power go to wire 1/7, 2/8, and 3/9.

Jon

mcbassin

Aluminum
If you are talking about the spindle motor and are going to low voltage, its on the plate on the motor. Wiretie 4 5 and 6 together, then your legs of incoming power go to wire 1/7, 2/8, and 3/9.

Jon
Thanks Jon, I found that last night. I have it going on 240 volts now. The spindle works great but I can't get the pc to boot up. Nothing comes on the monitor when powered up.

reabdet21

Plastic
voltage change

First, make sure someone has not already changed the voltage. Check the wiring on the spindle motor, check the tap on the main transformer and also check the main power switch. The main breaker will need to be changed also. Check with EMI

I just purchased an older model EZ DX (1995 or 96)? It has 480Volts on the tag. Does anyone know if the transformer can be changed to accept 240 volts? Does anyone have a schematic or a wiring diagram?
thanks,
Mike

mcbassin

Aluminum
First, make sure someone has not already changed the voltage. Check the wiring on the spindle motor, check the tap on the main transformer and also check the main power switch. The main breaker will need to be changed also. Check with EMI

Thanks, I did a test fire up and the motor fires up just fine with the motor and transformer rewired. I'll have to order the overload and main breaker. I called EMI and and there was no answer.

HWElecRepair

Hot Rolled
EMI shut down early yesterday for the storm.

Your computer power supply runs off just 110VAC power. Coming off the computer power supply are a bunch of wires (black, red, and yellow wires) going to 4 pin connectors. Check black to red and black to yellow on VDC. The black to red should be about 5.0-5.2VDC and black to yellow should be about 12.0-12.3VDC or so. If you have good power coming off of there, plug a computer monitor directly into the motherboard to verify if the monitor is bad or if the motherboard needs to be upgraded to the SBC.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

mcbassin

Aluminum
Thanks Jon. I have a bunch of green LEDs that light up on the main board/ motherboard. Is there something I can check on the other boards?IMG_0646.jpg
IMG_0647.jpg

jccaclimber

Hot Rolled
Your cabinet looks a bit different inside than my EZTrak, so this may not apply. Mine is the no hard drive version that boots off of the floppy drive. After replacing the floppy drive, motherboard BIOS battery (it's an easy solder in), the monitor, and the boot disc I managed to get mine booted into DOS, but couldn't get the Bridgeport software running.
I'd be happy to dig up the piles of files I have if you want. If you manage to actually get into any software I'd love to know what worked for you.

mcbassin

Aluminum
Your cabinet looks a bit different inside than my EZTrak, so this may not apply. Mine is the no hard drive version that boots off of the floppy drive. After replacing the floppy drive, motherboard BIOS battery (it's an easy solder in), the monitor, and the boot disc I managed to get mine booted into DOS, but couldn't get the Bridgeport software running.
I'd be happy to dig up the piles of files I have if you want. If you manage to actually get into any software I'd love to know what worked for you.
So you never got yours to boot up either? Back in the late 90s I converted an SX like yours to a DX with hard drive and extra memory. But where I worked had plenty of donor PCs laying around. Not to mention I had a Dx to look at sitting right next to it.

HWElecRepair

Hot Rolled
I can see that you have the SBC upgrade done to it. But without knowing the voltage readings or without knowing if it works with an external monitor (just a normal computer monitor) I cant really offer any other suggestions.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

jccaclimber

Hot Rolled
So you never got yours to boot up either? Back in the late 90s I converted an SX like yours to a DX with hard drive and extra memory. But where I worked had plenty of donor PCs laying around. Not to mention I had a Dx to look at sitting right next to it.

It currently boots into DOS just fine, I just seem to be lacking the right piece of NC software to actually do anything. I could probably run Pong or Breakout if I really wanted to. I bought it to be a manual mill, and its fantastic at that, it would be nice to have the servos and encoders working eventually.
Forgot to add, I also had to change the power supply. Fortunately I also have reasonable access to old computer parts and was able to splice in an ATX supply to the AT connectors.

jccaclimber

Hot Rolled
Thanks Jon, I found that last night. I have it going on 240 volts now. The spindle works great but I can't get the pc to boot up. Nothing comes on the monitor when powered up.

A couple things to check:
1) Make sure the voltage going to the monitor and rest of the computer are correct. If you had to change the taps on the transformer for the motor, you may also need to change the taps for the computer. I got lucky on mine, it was labeled as something like 480 on the cabinet, but was in fact set up for 230 when it came into my possession.
2) Make sure the monitor is good on another source. You should (at least I did on mine) see the BIOS flash by.
3) Consider plugging the entire computer in to a separate power source. The first monitor I swapped in to mine made some very interesting buzzing noises. Once I plugged it in elsewhere that went away. I have not gotten around to hooking a scope up to the original supply to see where it is coming from.

mcbassin

Aluminum
I can see that you have the SBC upgrade done to it. But without knowing the voltage readings or without knowing if it works with an external monitor (just a normal computer monitor) I cant really offer any other suggestions.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

A couple things to check:
1) Make sure the voltage going to the monitor and rest of the computer are correct. If you had to change the taps on the transformer for the motor, you may also need to change the taps for the computer. I got lucky on mine, it was labeled as something like 480 on the cabinet, but was in fact set up for 230 when it came into my possession.
2) Make sure the monitor is good on another source. You should (at least I did on mine) see the BIOS flash by.
3) Consider plugging the entire computer in to a separate power source. The first monitor I swapped in to mine made some very interesting buzzing noises. Once I plugged it in elsewhere that went away. I have not gotten around to hooking a scope up to the original supply to see where it is coming from.

I have tried connecting the PC power supply and stand alone monitor directly to the wall. I have LED lights on all the boards but still nothing to the monitor.
I had to install jumpers on the transformer to match what was in the manual.

jccaclimber

Hot Rolled
I have tried connecting the PC power supply and stand alone monitor directly to the wall. I have LED lights on all the boards but still nothing to the monitor.
I had to install jumpers on the transformer to match what was in the manual.

Have you tried a different monitor, or tried that one on a different computer?

mcbassin

Aluminum
Have you tried a different monitor, or tried that one on a different computer?

I have an update. I finally got in touch with EMI. The tech. Told me the problem pretty much right away. It’s the video chip or something related to it on the single board pc. I got to looking at the EZ path I bought with this machine. It has the exact same board so I swapped it out and it fired right up and homed straight away. EMI sells the card for $700 so I’m back to saving for this project. I spent everything I had on buying the phase converter for my shop. I also found out the head doesn’t have the gear that lets you rotate the head. It’s missing and it appears the dowels and woodruff key are all sheeted.

jccaclimber

Hot Rolled
I have an update. I finally got in touch with EMI. The tech. Told me the problem pretty much right away. It’s the video chip or something related to it on the single board pc. I got to looking at the EZ path I bought with this machine. It has the exact same board so I swapped it out and it fired right up and homed straight away. EMI sells the card for $700 so I’m back to saving for this project. I spent everything I had on buying the phase converter for my shop. I also found out the head doesn’t have the gear that lets you rotate the head. It’s missing and it appears the dowels and woodruff key are all sheeted.

Did you take the head off, or does the input hex just spin freely? My understanding is that breaking that gear/shaft is a somewhat known issue if the head is tilted much without additional support. I recently pulled a head by turning a 3/4" round on the end of a 1.5" square bar. Square part in the middle of the vise, round part in the spindle (3/4 R8 collet is the largest we have), and then pulling the table forward after removing the four nuts that hold rotation. Easy as can be, and it was my first time. Obviously make sure the quill is fully up first as I doubt the quill brake will hold the weight of the head.

mcbassin

Aluminum
Did you take the head off, or does the input hex just spin freely? My understanding is that breaking that gear/shaft is a somewhat known issue if the head is tilted much without additional support. I recently pulled a head by turning a 3/4" round on the end of a 1.5" square bar. Square part in the middle of the vise, round part in the spindle (3/4 R8 collet is the largest we have), and then pulling the table forward after removing the four nuts that hold rotation. Easy as can be, and it was my first time. Obviously make sure the quill is fully up first as I doubt the quill brake will hold the weight of the head.
I saw that tip on this forum , it might have even been you that mentioned it. I made one out of some 1-1/4” hex stock. Worked great! I have to dig into it more but it appears to be missing the round gear on the ram