What's new
What's new

Bridgeport line a mill servo pinout

Mpd

Plastic
I just bought my first mill today. From what research ive done, im pretty sure it was a line a mill. It has big square beefy servos for the x and y axis with a either 4 or 5 pin (4 pins in a square pattern with a possibly smaller pin in center??) Cannon plug connector. All the electronics for the line a mill are gone, and i would like to try to wire these servos so that i will have power feed on the x and y axis. Does anyone have a pinout for these connectors? Also what is the easiest way to wire? Im thinking a rheostat and on off switch. I believe these are dc servos, what kind of power supply would i need? Ive read a post that i think a member was named hog.gravy and chitlins tried to do the same thing. Supposedly he got help from jim caudill, but the thread stopped before the info i need was presented. Any help is appreciated.

Mpd

Plastic
No pics at the moment. Line-a-mill was a precursor to cnc. Apparently it had a optical sensor that could follow a line drawing and mill accordingly. All that tech had been removed from my mill. It has a "j" head on it.

52 Ford

Stainless
I'll revisit this tomorrow (later today?). Please add any info you have specific to the servos.

Might be a common servo form factor, with a standard connector.

No clue.

The idea of a machine that will CNC mill a drawing, like following pattern on a pantagraph is really cool. Given, I'm probably as fast with 2D CAD as I am with drawing... sooo.... I dunno. Having software to cut SVG files could be useful nowaday. Good for making engraved signs... I think. Not that this helps you any, I'm just saying, the line-a-mill sounds like a neat concept.

I wouldn't do an on on/off switch. I'd do an on/off/on. That way you can set your feed speed, then reverse on the fly, with the same feed. Might want a rapid over ride, too.

Mpd

Plastic
In an ancient post(2003) i found that the line a mill equipment was Stewart Warner. I suppose the servos are STEWART warner also. There is absolutely no markings on my servos so im just guessing. Supposedly they are dc brush type motors with a tachometer feedback(for telling where the table location is. ) something was mentioned in the post about having silver brushes for the tach brushes.

DDoug

Diamond
In an ancient post(2003) i found that the line a mill equipment was Stewart Warner. I suppose the servos are STEWART warner also. There is absolutely no markings on my servos so im just guessing. Supposedly they are dc brush type motors with a tachometer feedback(for telling where the table location is. ) something was mentioned in the post about having silver brushes for the tach brushes.

Stewart Warner also made electric eye tracers for cutting torches.

jackalope

Titanium
I just went through one of these machines and it is in mint condition. I’m going to replace my other Bridgeport with this one and would like to convert the dc motors for power feeds as well. I can send a pic of the machine itself to someone if they want to post. I am not able to with my phone.
The mill is an optical tracer with manual crank handles but uses ballscrews. The ram is nearly 12” wide so it is rigid as a mofo. The t-slot ram head mounting surface is perfect for mounting a dro and anything else.

Mpd

Plastic
Jackalope, it will be a few weeks before i can really get going on this mill. Im in the process of wiring my shop, then it will get spray foamed before i can move anything in. So im likely a month out on this mill project. If you figure out the wiring before, please respond here or my post in the bridgeport forum. Once i get working on mine, ill update when i figure it out.

52 Ford

Stainless
Jackalope, it will be a few weeks before i can really get going on this mill. Im in the process of wiring my shop, then it will get spray foamed before i can move anything in. So im likely a month out on this mill project. If you figure out the wiring before, please respond here or my post in the bridgeport forum. Once i get working on mine, ill update when i figure it out.

Spray foam. Good choice. Make sure you use a fire resistant wall covering. You can get fire resistant sheet rock. Goes up just like regular sheet rock. Using metal roofing as a wall covering for the first few feet (maybe 4 feet?) off wall from the floor is great. Especially if you do any welding.

Personally, I think it looks really nice as well. Depends on the style and color of the metal, though.