What's new
What's new

Bridgeport Mill Husband passed away… ball park idea of $

pjnelson

Aluminum
Hello… my apologies if I am not in the right forum. I have a 1974 Bridgeport mill series 1. I see a wide range of values on line for used mills. Many are for sale without tools, so I do not know the value of those things as well. I have been doing some research… I have 3 vices, a round table by advance, etc. someone wanted me to give him a price on all, but someone else said to sell the round advance separately because it can be used on any mill. So, I am attaching some pictures. I do not have
things cleaned up yet… any direction??? Location: Benton Harbor, Michigan Thanks a bunch

8C85243D-E582-480B-A15B-1FA2CE6D11B5.jpeg71E0326E-3060-4699-AFF7-68A5CDCB2D69.jpegC41933BE-A621-4D93-8597-60CF5A40291E.jpeg55F526F5-A163-4A0F-9A5B-44700DC0D1E1.jpeg0BF453FF-5EF9-4E93-9923-24248DCABFB0.jpeg891427D4-49ED-413B-9CC2-CC9C0CF152DD.jpeg89616747-677F-4827-A672-5D904EA1ECCE.jpegDB5BEB4B-AF61-49A6-91A7-D116D10B9E55.jpegA0190198-6091-4C70-86E7-59F9D423AA7C.jpegthings
cleaned up yet… any direction??? Thanks a bunch

Attachments

• 06745069-E5B1-4DE7-AC71-0389C31ABABB.jpeg
    06745069-E5B1-4DE7-AC71-0389C31ABABB.jpeg
    39.9 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Used machines (and their accessories) are like a used car, CONDITION IS EVERYTHING. I see a coating of rust on most everything. That does not mean they are unusable or have no value, but it does seriously impact what someone will pay. Machine and accessory tooling is very dependent on location. Where I live the Bridgeport mill and all the tooling in that condition would go for around $3,000-$3,500 sold as a package. If all the rust was cleaned off and everything sold separately, then maybe another $1,000 could be realized.

Michigan may have lower prices since there was a lot of industry there in the past so the supply of old machines may be greater. Like everything else, supply vs. demand is what sets local prices for heavy things that cost too much to ship.

That round table is called a rotary table, and the electronic measuring system is a digital read out commonly called a DRO. With those and the vise and tools, I'd probably be shooting for $3000 as well if you didn't clean it up. You can always start high on facebook marketplace and work your way down

That round table is called a rotary table, and the electronic measuring system is a digital read out commonly called a DRO. With those and the vise and tools, I'd probably be shooting for $3000 as well if you didn't clean it up. You can always start high on facebook marketplace and work your way down
Thanks for helping with the terminology:)

The rust may not be an issue......digital pictures definitely accentuate the apparent rust,which in reality is very minor..
Yes, the pictures make everything look overcast. If I don’t sell as is to the guy that is coming this weekend, I will roll up my sleeves and start polishing:)

take some time to clean things up a bit and a drop or two of oil here and there to keep the rust at bay and makes things turn

nice and someone will be more then happy to give it a new home. good luck on your sales

the old tail of new lamps for old ! you know the new lamps are just the old lamps that have been clean up to new .its all the

same be it cars , houses , whatever . there's always someone to come along and talk down what you have low ball you on the

price then clean it up and brag about how they made a killing and when they go to sell it want top dollar that's ok to some

that's there forum of sex but don't be so obvious about . but think about this for the most part this sale that's going on here

$20 bills are being sold for $10 and there some that want them for the price of a $5 bill

that is a ton of surface rust, bought a knee mill myself here in canada for $1800 rust free and a dro and R8 collets etc.
something like that around here might be 1000-1500 range to the right guy as non name brand bridgeports are plentyfull

From what I can tell from the pics, it's got a series two or R2J2 variable speed head.
If you do end up listing it online for sale, you will want to find the serial numbers, (location varies) of both the head, and the body. (Body serial may be on the main column inside the door, or on the bed, knee, etc. The Head (The top round bit) with the round (clock-like) dial on it also has a separate serial number.
That will mean potential buyers can look up info online before travelling to visit.
Also, is it in a running condition? It would be nice for potential buyers to hear the machine running, check the auto feed quill, etc...

I dont think any reference values from me will help. I'm in the Ireland and the UK. Prices here are anywhere from £€500 to £€10,000.
Ebay will be your friend on finding local values. Do a search for completed items in your area.

The stuff in the blue rack (pic 1) is a clamping / hold down set. Looks to be fairly complete. say £€50.
The rotary traversing table looks like it would clean up nice too. They are quite pricey here. Say £€250-500. (I cant tell the size very well)
The Red and black case are parallels. Depending on the brand their value can be across quite a range.
The red case are just larger drills.
The pic of all the random bits, you could probably pull out the clamping bits (like in the blue stand) and put all them together. Similarly all the drills should go together.
The 3 vices also vary depending on brand, which i cant make out.

Best of luck, and dont put up with any bullshit buyers just out to take advantage!

Edit: I just saw the date. I hope you got a good offer you were happy with.

Last edited:

Back