What's new
What's new

Bridgeport Series 1 - Am I nuts??

Apostle

Plastic
I almost purchased a beautiful 2018 Bridgeport Series 1 machine at auction. Hah, I quit bidding when the bidding shot through $18k. However I got the bug to get a "new to me" machine. I've located a very nice 1986 machine down converted from CNC and, after rebuilding in 2006, has seen only light use.
My question is this. It appears to me, both from memory and photos (dependent on lighting) that the newer 2018 machine is a darker gray color than the earlier machines. Can anyone confirm this for me? Also, does anyone know the paint code for these newer machines? I may want to cover some old battle scars on my soon to arrive machine. Best, Mike DiGirolamo, Charlottesville, VA

car2

Stainless
I just use the Rustoleum Professional Smoke Gray enamel (not spray) for everything, it may not match perfectly, but close enuf for me, cheap, available at hardware and bigbox stores, easy to coat and recoat, tolerates dirty oily application surfaces. Seems to hold up well. I usually keep a jar around with a part of the solvent evaporated so it's more viscous (good for touchup and partial filling of chips and such). Good luck and have fun with your new machine.

Apostle

Plastic
Yes. You are 'nuts'. Or at least Apostolic?

:)

That price-point, 'faith' is risky. One goes and LOOKS, confirms condition and all-else. Especially on the 36 year-old '1986' model. BirdPorts WEAR. And suffer abuse. Badly so.

Otherwise, newish or brand-new, use a reputable dealer with a damned good warranty. Not just "memory and photos". No matter HOW good.
Thank you for your professorial acumen in equipment purchasing logic. Your name “thermite” indicates that you are HOT indeed 😊 May I add, from my 77 yrs walking this planet, that PROVENANCE trumps AGE? You might address that in your next lecture on buying gear. May I especially point out that you didn’t answer the question and purpose of my post – Are newer Bridgeport's a darker color than their predecessors? If so, might you know the new paint code? It’s a simple question.
BTW, we’re not far apart, perhaps we could share coffee sometime?

Apostle

Plastic
What? And shout "SAY AGAIN?" at each other for an hour?

I'm rather DEAF, y'see! Tet '68 legacy...

:D
Yeah, I certainly the remember 1968 Tet Offensive, you see I was USAF, 1966-1970. Why was a machinist in the jungle as a ground pounder? Tried to PM but couldn't find the link. Thanks for your service and have a happy 4th of July weekend. Pray for our country and God bless, Mike
BTW, I don't know much about you star huggers but I've never been referred to as an Aries before!