What's new
What's new

Bridgeport Series 1 CNC Upgrade Layout

Houston Murphy

Plastic
Preliminary Layout for the CNC upgrade. All demolition is completed. I cut out 2 large panels from the original steel backing and attached a 3/16 aluminum plate on 1" spacers to allow better cooling properties. 30 amp breaker for power inlet (on/off) to a line filter branch 220 to the ABB VFD (the break resistor will be mounted in a modified Bridgeport heat sink out side the box)48 vdc power source from a 110 leg, additionally there is a 5 vdc source fuse panel, e-stop solenoid, and solenoids for the fans, and home/limit switches. a couple gang bars. Additionally (not pictured) on the operators side there is a breaker panel (marine) with volt meter 30 amp gang and 4 15 amp breakers for the coolant, oiler and to power the dc power supplies

Attachments

• Top View.jpg
    Top View.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 151
  • profile.jpg
    profile.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 131
Bridgeport Series 1 Upgrade Progress

IMG_20210703_123417.jpg]IMG_20210703_123357.jpgIMG_20210703_123449.jpgIMG_20210703_123519.jpgOkay new pictures, wiring going well, i milled out one of the old BP heat sinks to accept the brake resistor (radiator) and mounted it outside to keep the heat out of the enclosure

View attachment 324207View attachment 324208I mounted the main board in the enclosure and added a CB panel to control the sub systems ie., cooling fans, PC, oiler, and mister. More wiring to go

Is your estop a suggestion to the controller to stop when it feels like it? Proper estops are normally (for small machines) contactors near the motor drives, and a signal to tell the controller an estop happened after the fact.

The plan is for the e-stop relay(s) to be wired in for each motor, spindle, x,y, and z axis. I have the relays on 35mm DIN track and utilizing the OEM switch as well as through the BOB

5vdc for limit switches sounds kinda weak in my opine. all signal voltage in my experience, and they have been very nerve wracking in the past, should be 24VDC and differential signal if possible. definitely differential signal for small items like encoders that only allow 5VDC signal and then add on plenty of insulation, shielding and star grounding. Short of that phantom signals will be driving you nuts. and E stop should also include a E stop button that cuts off all operating power to servo drivers and VFD ( VFD's unlike servo drivers have only power going in and out). Logic power should stay on while in e stop, but again most VFD's don't have that option ( sucks). I have also had good experience using line conditioning UPS for computer and BOB. Nothing like having power surge, blackout or brownout and cnc computer is on long enough to know where in program it all stopped and let you carry on from there. 48VDC you going stepper? Are you retrofitting that series II you have in the last pic, if so please use servos. can't tell from pic if you are keeping signal wires and power wires perpendicular or far away from each other, but that is a must.

a few observations

knife switch disconnect on transformer cabinet is removed--factory configuration incorporated mechanical interlock--
if you have employees operating machine the door mounted circuit breaker hardware is unlikely to meet code-
any incident involving mill + worker could expose you to unlimited liability--

if you hold level III industrial electrician certification--MEM 31215--please forgive my lesser observations--

my day job is forensic medicine with avocation of machine retrofits--I have owned 30+ BP mills, mostly boss 3-6

if I sell a machine today it is always classified as parts or non-operational--removing fuses is a non-destructive method

NFPA section 79 addresses electrical configuration of industrial machinery--year 2021

here is a link to no cost review of NFPA-NEC section 79 code requirements

your work appears tidy and organized--a plus when reviewed by inspectors

Attachments

• nfpa.jpg
    nfpa.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 21
Just returned home from a 6 week project. My "day" job is providing davit, winch, mooring winch services to the cruise ship industry. As you may imagine we are swamped now playing catch up. I appreciate your sound advice. I am going for 24VDC on the limit switches, I did research and found that this is better. I am keeping steppers, this project is for home use. I retire in 4 years and plan on using my cnc, mills, lathes as supplemental income. now I use this equipment for side work (except the cnc) and found it lucrative. i do plan on keeping the power and signal wires seperate as i do not like chatter. Thank you

Hi, I removed the knife switch due to damage. I am installing a push button rated switch for "on / off" the cb was added as I feel better having a down line cb from the power selection. I do not plan on having an employee, this unit is in my home along with my 2 lathes, mill boring bar, valve grinder. Thank you so much for your advice, I do appreciate your opinion.

If you wire right 5 volt is fine for limits- heck our drill line has 130 feet of wire on a single run, passing over 3 25 hp motors and it never has noise issues. Coper with 12 volt- well it’s just a cluster of issues with noise being the variable one.
Steppers need power, not just volts (48 is low side) but amps too. They are power hungry- if those are 34 double stacks 70 volts at 5 amps each is closer to recommended.
You will not regret having an e stop to kill power to spindle and drives (downstream power). Employees fingers are only a few dollars in Texas- yours are worth more. Even if you use it only once, it pays.

Have fun wiring it up, make it your mill.

Back