What's new
What's new

Bridgeport true trace parts. Any use for them?

alcro1998

Cast Iron
I have a true trace off a 1969 Bridgeport.

Does anyone even use these anymore or am I better off just throwing most of the parts away? Maybe someone here needs something off it?

If I end up throwing it away I’d probably just keep the parts that attach to the hand wheels and the hydraulic unit. I think I’d be cool to make a servo power feed out of the old motor hand wheel mounts.

Thanks!

What parts do you have and what do you need? Might be able to get one of the.mqchines with hand knobs for a decent price and have spares that way.

I have a 1980 True Trace II machine. I have not seen much for parts or info for the tracer unit. From what I hear Hardinge will disavow all knowledge.

What parts do you have and what do you need? Might be able to get one of the.mqchines with hand knobs for a decent price and have spares that way.

I have a 1980 True Trace II machine. I have not seen much for parts or info for the tracer unit. From what I hear Hardinge will disavow all knowledge.
I have a true trace I’m converting to a manual machine. I don’t need any of the parts. Just wondering if the parts are worth keeping around really.

I'd hold on to the tracer hydro system and the hydro motors for the hand cranks. Folks like me that have tracer mills that also work manually may need parts eventually.

I meant to say in my last post that the tracer machines without hand cranks are less desirable and a PITA to convert if you can find the parts you need to convert it. Most places don't even bother with tracer only machines.

I meant to say in my last post that the tracer machines without hand cranks are less desirable and a PITA to convert if you can find the parts you need to convert it. Most places don't even bother with tracer only machines.
Yeah the only reason I bought this one was because it looked like it was very easy to convert. The only thing I have bought for it was a new ram. Haven't gotten around to ordering new end brackets but it looks like it'll bolt right up to the old ball screws and mounting holes.

Not sure what besides the tracer unit would be adaptable from a tracer mill, but lathe type tracers can make a planer; or with more difficulty a shaper, do interesting tricks.
But 12 years later, still have not applied my Mimik to it.

I do some contour planing, but hard patterns with roller follower has worked for my apps.
Still have some idea of applying one...someday.

smt

Back