What's new
What's new

Bridgeport v2xt cnc milling machine

eqshop9689

Plastic
I'm trying to identify what i have here... I am new to cnc and just got this machine. I got everything to work, I just can't figure out how to load a program, put in the work and tool offsets and run program.

Here is some of the badging
V2xt on keyboard cover
Dx32 on inside of keyboard cover
Boss SX15 4.42c on computer screen
Boss XT build level 3.42 on computer screen
Serial number of the drive is 2J139474

I have lots of manuals, none of which have been very useful for me.

Does anyone have any pointers for me or can point me in the right direction?

I just bought a USB converter to convert the 3-1/2" floppy disk so I can plug in a USB drive and load txt programs

It's been more than twenty years since I ran a V2XT, like MM I remember little of the foibles. But if you search Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=V2XT+mill (or similar key words) you'll find vids of people still running them (as well as sellers).

Watch the videos, see what the folks do. Don't jump right in with questions, do your own work first so you don't waste people's time - right now you "don't know what you don't know".

Then do more focused web searches such as "programming Bridgeport V2XT" or "BOSS 32 Programming", with more searching you'll get better sites to learn from.

I'm trying to identify what i have here... I am new to cnc and just got this machine. I got everything to work, I just can't figure out how to load a program, put in the work and tool offsets and run program.

Here is some of the badging
V2xt on keyboard cover
Dx32 on inside of keyboard cover
Boss SX15 4.42c on computer screen
Boss XT build level 3.42 on computer screen
Serial number of the drive is 2J139474

I have lots of manuals, none of which have been very useful for me.

Does anyone have any pointers for me or can point me in the right direction?

I just bought a USB converter to convert the 3-1/2" floppy disk so I can plug in a USB drive and load txt programs

^^^ I think this is the same vintage,

This might help "orient" you bit.

I have to be honest I have mixed reservations about these styles of machine as a mill.

This machine is 1988 to 1993 vintage.

Thing runs off 480 V,

Word to the wise "Be" a shop or "professional" just to help reduce the chance of this thread being locked.

Doesn't Hardinge still make something like this ? Or just 100% manual series "1".

AND do make every attempt you can to understand the manual even if you are stuck on the first page for three days.

Also wonder if the folks at Hardinge / Bridgeport got laid off a long time ago that knew this machine and had documentation for it.

But on the OTH you have the manuals for it ? Errrrrr ?

Last edited:
This machine is 1988 to 1993 vintage.
Word to the wise "Be" a shop or "professional" just the help reduce the chance of this thread being locked.

Ooooh, you snob! ;) I build legit satellite experiment packages on that mill, you can do fine work with them if you know you're doing...

The WIND-SWE Instruments Page - MIT Space Plasma Group [upper right is a gold-plated magnesium Faraday cup - I made two for that Sat]

Ooooh, you snob! ;) I build legit satellite experiment packages on that mill, you can do fine work with them if you know you're doing...

The WIND-SWE Instruments Page - MIT Space Plasma Group [upper right is a gold-plate magnesium Faraday cup - I made two for that Sat]

That's one of yours Schweeeet !

Very nice.

Good to see there's still some love for the V2XT ---> Yay.

It's not the machine** it's the recent pushbacks on "Harry homeshop" (peeps) and then this new expression I just recently learnt "Askholes" lol (from the fallout of the "Should we have a toolmaker forrrrrrum" - as I commented it went about as well as could be expected.).

I want to spend some more time looking at Mr Milland's "Space junk" ;-)

Looks beautiful. Will read and do due diligence.

Just trying to help OP not have his thread get locked before he or she makes too many missteps . someone or something swoops in.

When I say "Be" that's more of a "cue" rather than a condition.

** To me it seems a miracle that anyone that swivels the head in "B" or tilts the head in an effective "A" is ever able to tram that thing back to square 'cuz the worms on the BP's seem really course - So seems like it would require micro-scopically fine tapping of wrenches and then once half tightened more tapping / banging with dead blow hammers and on and on to full tightening of those bolts.

Also generally wonder about runnout on a quill type machine - theoretically something like a Moore jig grinder with crazy movements and linkages is still crazy accurate.

The servos on the V2XT look pretty beefy (considering).

+ "Table droop" for larger longer parts (table fully extended) but always wondered if folks put a screw jack under that for particular set ups ?

BPs are still amazingly versatile machines especially for oversized work.

@milland that's nice " measurements of the strahl and of any "anti- strahl"

Didn't know there was an "anti-strahl"

very cool project - / technique nice to see that science (again). {warms the cockles of my heart }.

I want to spend some more time looking at Mr Milland's "Space junk" ;-)

Looks beautiful. Will read and do due diligence.

What's nice about it is that it was launched almost 26 years ago, and it's STILL WORKING! Who says we can't make anything in America anymore... :D

WIND Spacecraft will give you entry into as much (too much) as you want to learn, including getting up-to-date solar wind data.

The other major project I worked on (twice) was HETE and HETE2, the first suffered an ignominious death due to not separating from the Pegasus rocket as it should have (a failed battery did it in), the second got into orbit and produced some great science on GRB's and the like.

I actually build most of the H2 buss and MIT experiments, even designed some of the parts and GSE. Pretty much the high point of my professional career to date. Not too shabby for a HS Voc-Tech grad...

The HETE-2 Satellite

And if I don't get a move on, it will remain the apogee. Still looking to top it...

What's nice about it is that it was launched almost 26 years ago, and it's STILL WORKING! Who says we can't make anything in America anymore... :D

WIND Spacecraft will give you entry into as much (too much) as you want to learn, including getting up-to-date solar wind data.

The other major project I worked on (twice) was HETE and HETE2, the first suffered an ignominious death due to not separating from the Pegasus rocket as it should have (a failed battery did it in), the second got into orbit and produced some great science on GRB's and the like.

I actually build most of the H2 buss and MIT experiments, even designed some of the parts and GSE. Pretty much the high point of my professional career to date. Not too shabby for a HS Voc-Tech grad...

The HETE-2 Satellite

And if I don't get a move on, it will remain the apogee. Still looking to top it...

Very very impressive indeed.

Those instruments are super important and the data gathered by WIND has been cited / used by 5000 peer reviewed papers + won tons of awards for mission success as late as 2017 I believe.

Brief time I spent at JPL kinda changed the "trajectory" of my life / light bulb moment that kept giving in a way.

It IS remarkable the science that goes on and gives usefully to lives of practically every citizen.

The HETE-2 Satellite/ space craft that looks like a lot of fun with all the different types of detectors and imagers. Some clever hacks there with linear sensors clustered on different surfaces at different orientations and then the use of controlled motion of the satellite to construct scanned imagery ~ Plus the X-ray stuff is mind blowing in of itself not just the Gamma Ray Burst detectors and approach to that. Very pioneering / seminal missions - that paved the way for some pretty elaborate (less reliable) solar / heliosphere based research missions. Of course my favorite (in that vein) is the STEREO A and STEREO B :-).

Also VERY cool that you have your hardware (and literal handy work) at Lagrange point 1. - 932,000 miles from Earth... So that's pretty much gonna be there at that "point" pretty much forever ? (or at least outlast humans ). :D

I've often felt sorry for some folks that worked on various space craft/ missions for a couple of decades to be just blown up on the launch pad / be aborted or find some chronic failure in critical systems heading out to Saturn or Mars. Similar things happened with ESA and the Titan mission , years and years worth of work resulting in an abrupt partial mission termination at the surface of Titan due to software uplink error in the code ? (Huygens Probe.) _---> (Not Cassini's fault .).

Also very cool you got to design and build some of the Ground Support Equipment (GSE) - that's quite a broad gamut/ super work and awesome they tapped into your design engineering skills and experience / relied on that. Important stuff and it has to work !

One day you'll have to tell me the secrets of your various giant structural components/ and connecting rings for the ISS. Also super critical components.

I'm impressed as hell that anyone can make helicopter rotor parts for the DOD on a 3 axis machine as a private contractor... :cool:

@Milland thanks for sharing that I DO appreciate that, and if find myself up sh*t creek on "New" mechanisms I'll definitely seek you out - 2021 will be breaking a lot of new ground on many fronts.

I actually build most of the H2 buss and MIT experiments

^^^ No pressure at all just one of the most important systems that you don't want to fritz -out. (or get blamed for lol). + the collaboration with other countries and research groups.

I'd be like -"Are you sure this is right... IS this dimension really what you meant, are you sure that... and on and on and on " -have to keep a cool head / wits about you, obviously they must have placed tremendous trust in your abilities and sense, common sense and uncommonly GOOD sense - To me that's more important for design / devising things than necessarily an "Unfettered" imagination. (These days very rare qualities).

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Definitely one of the best adverts for MADE IN AMERICA and Bridgeport v2xt cnc milling machine I've ever seen :D

+ Helpful perspective on "risk" and risk taking - somewhat comforting I think.

+ Hopefully Happy Days at the Winklershop once they figure out how that all goes with their V2Xt...

Last edited:
I'm not 100% familiar with the history of Bridgeport vs Hardinge and then how the brand-name at least was rescued later ? Then having cnc verticals / 5axis machines for Hardinge Bridgeport being built in Taiwan but also have designers from the U.K. spec and design newer machines to be built in Taiwan like the "Bridgeport" XT650 5ax ?

So I don't even know if this would be worth reposting/ linking in the Hardinge section - machine sub -forum ?

Similarly with the BP 400 5ax request currently in the CNC forum stream ?

In need of Bridgeport 5ax 400 Manuals and Info

Back