What's new
What's new

Bringing a Mori SL-25 (Lathe)back to life

AgentStone

Plastic
Greetings!

So... I am getting this old Mori SL25 Lathe going for a friend and was wondering a few things right off the bat.

1.How do I find the center of the spindle (and tell the machine that) for the X value in the work coordinates?

2. What is the best strategy for setting tools by hand since the tool setter is broken?

3. Last, what is the most intelligent way to set my Z work offsets once the tools are set?

Maybe I do 2 and 3 in reverse?

Thanks for any tips!

It looks just like this SL-15 below

s-l1600.jpg

Not sure on the control that you have but to set your offsets there is a learn in the tool offset mode. Make a test cut in x and measure the diameter, then enter in measurement for the x axis in the learn screen, set z the same way. You have to do this for each tool. For center point i put a pin in a tool holder and used a coax indicator to find the center of the pin. Or just leave your bar out of the holder and sweep the holder. Don’t try to sweep it with a indicator stuck on the chuck gravity will get the best of you ( indicator sag) stick it on a plate and 0 it, flip the plate upside down and you will see what gravity measures lol. Good luck
If you snag a book it shoul be outlined in that on setting tools. Never did see how to set the tool spindle centerline in the book though. I just kinda figured out a way that works for me.

When I find it I don’t need it
When I need it I can’t find it!

Greetings!

So... I am getting this old Mori SL25 Lathe going for a friend and was wondering a few things right off the bat.

1.How do I find the center of the spindle (and tell the machine that) for the X value in the work coordinates?

2. What is the best strategy for setting tools by hand since the tool setter is broken?

3. Last, what is the most intelligent way to set my Z work offsets once the tools are set?

Maybe I do 2 and 3 in reverse?

Thanks for any tips!

It looks just like this SL-15 below

s-l1600.jpg

cut a test part, and measure the diameter.
a piece of paper or pin or block between part and tool and move till it is tight and almost pinched.
and measure them from the face of the chuck.

That looks like a Yasnac CNC. Pretty good unit for the day.

If no tool setter - others have stated correctly - test cut on OD/ID, then measure, then go to offsets and enter diameter in measure mode.
Same for work coordinates.

To find center, I chuck a collet holder with a Co-Ax indicator and dial in all the ID stations by hand. Then write them down on a chart.

Thank you all for the tool setting tips !

This still leaves one thing unclear for me... The "Work Shift" or work coordinate system.. The X value...

If I understand correctly this is where you tell the controller where the center of the spindle is. I have never seen it as 0.0 on a lathe.. there's always some non zero value which is where that spindle axis is located in relation to the machine coordinates from its home position... I am stumped on how to set that because I cant just put zero in or just guess the number. When its set to zero... it seems like the lathe thinks the center of the lathe is @ X0.0 (X-Home). Does that make sense?

Any ideas? I am sure its something simple that I am just missing. There must be some procedure for figuring it out. Some way to measure or find out

Thank in advance.

-Stone

I have Sl-25 same color fanuc control.
To measure tool offsets is like this.
From offset page geometry.
Key stroke
MX .375
Sets current location of tool @ dia .375
Same for Z axis also.

I have Sl-25 same color fanuc control.
To measure tool offsets is like this.
From offset page geometry.
Key stroke
MX .375
Sets current location of tool @ dia .375
Same for Z axis also.

So wher does the .375 come from?
don’t ever remember using the mx command. For drills I’ve always swept the tool pocket then used the measure command button when in thw tool offset page. This is a 10 t fanuc. But im dumb [emoji854]if there is a better way please enlighten me too

It works like this- home the x axis, make sure no tool offsets are active. Jog the tool to a material in the chuck. Using the handwheel, take aa light cut on the stock. Jog the tool off the part without moving the x position. Measure the cut part. move the curser on the geometry offset page to that tool. Then enter the mx.375 <enter>---- the .375 in the above example is what the cut stock measured. The control will calculate the current distance from home, subtract the part diameter that was measured and then enter that value into the geometry offset for that tool. Works the same for Z except to set the distance from home to the current position is MZ<cancel>.

Thanks Dan, ive been doing mostly right then but when yo teach yourself your only as smart as the teacher[emoji38]

When I find it I don’t need it
When I need it I can’t find it!

Back