What's new
What's new

Broadbent Schofield BSH stalled fault

Mapstar74

Plastic
Hi all,
My friend has a problem with a Broadbent Schofield BSH lathe.

He doesn't have any technical info on the lathe just the sales brochure.

The lathe stopped running in the forward direction and he started using it in reverse just to get a couple of jobs done but now it will not run in either direction.

I've had a quick run through the electrics but without a drawing it is guessing what should happen. The star and delta contactors go in so the motor is getting power But is stalled so I suspect the clutch arrangement is at fault.

I did find a fault with the electromagnetic clutch assembly where the carbon brush holder had unscrewed which I hoped was the problem but alas still the same

I have looked at lathes.co.uk but the guy wants a princely sum for the info so thought I would ask here first to see if anyone has the electrical and mechanical info for it.

Cheers in advance

Damian

Hi all,
My friend has a problem with a Broadbent Schofield BSH lathe.

He doesn't have any technical info on the lathe just the sales brochure.

The lathe stopped running in the forward direction and he started using it in reverse just to get a couple of jobs done but now it will not run in either direction.

I've had a quick run through the electrics but without a drawing it is guessing what should happen. The star and delta contactors go in so the motor is getting power But is stalled so I suspect the clutch arrangement is at fault.

I did find a fault with the electromagnetic clutch assembly where the carbon brush holder had unscrewed which I hoped was the problem but alas still the same

I have looked at lathes.co.uk but the guy wants a princely sum for the info so thought I would ask here first to see if anyone has the electrical and mechanical info for it.

Cheers in advance

Damian
55 pounds is a "princely sum" ????
How much doo you expect Tony to charge ?

55 pounds is a "princely sum" ????
How much doo you expect Tony to charge ?
To my friend it is, but thought I would try here for help first for him. If all else fails then Tony maybe the only resort unless he decides to give up and sell the lathe on as not working or scrap.

Damian,

I suggest you ask this question on the "General" forum, I doubt many will see your post here.

A general description of the lathe would help - e.g. does it have a continuously running main motor with electromagnetic clutches for forward and reverse? Any brake in the drive train? (e.g. applying power to both clutches would lock everything).

It is also not clear what the problem is. "Stalling" is vague. Motor stalled? Motor running but chuck not turning? etc.

I think you need to isolate various parts e.g. If you remove the drive belts from the motor (i.e. isolate the motor from the clutches) will the motor run ok?

If you then rotate the headstock input shaft by hand, you might be able to put power to each clutch and see what the clutches are doing.

The forward/reverse selector for the feed gearbox can be put in neutral to isolate that part of the drive train too.

I suspect the OP is in the subcontinent,where 55 pounds is a years wages.........anyhoo,the contactor coil is moving the contactor points ,but have you checked the actual contactor points .....they may be burnt out..The unit is probably very old ,like a Brookhurst Igranic or similar,points unavailable ........however you can repair the points with silver from an old coin,the local silversmith can probably repair the silver contacts for a few rupees.

I suspect the OP is in the subcontinent,where 55 pounds is a years wages.........anyhoo,the contactor coil is moving the contactor points ,but have you checked the actual contactor points .....they may be burnt out..The unit is probably very old ,like a Brookhurst Igranic or similar,points unavailable ........however you can repair the points with silver from an old coin,the local silversmith can probably repair the silver contacts for a few rupees.
No england, and to me it not a lot but to an 82yr old on a state pension it is.
Thanks for the advice. Cutler hammer style contactors and all of the basics above I have already checked and are o.k.

Damian,

I suggest you ask this question on the "General" forum, I doubt many will see your post here.

A general description of the lathe would help - e.g. does it have a continuously running main motor with electromagnetic clutches for forward and reverse? Any brake in the drive train? (e.g. applying power to both clutches would lock everything).

It is also not clear what the problem is. "Stalling" is vague. Motor stalled? Motor running but chuck not turning? etc.

I think you need to isolate various parts e.g. If you remove the drive belts from the motor (i.e. isolate the motor from the clutches) will the motor run ok?

If you then rotate the headstock input shaft by hand, you might be able to put power to each clutch and see what the clutches are doing.

The forward/reverse selector for the feed gearbox can be put in neutral to isolate that part of the drive train too.
Thanks Peter I will repost it there.

The motor has two clutches (assuming fwd,rev) and I'm assuming it should run continuously and engage these off the headstock selector or duplicate saddle switch but do not have the electrical drawing to confirm this.

The starter is rated at 20hp but the motor is buried under the machine into a gearbox. In neutral the chuck will turn by hand so I don't think it is a problem at that end or the

I have to return so I will be able to add more detail to this.

Cheers

Back