What's new
What's new

Brother HS-300 on the way

BadTad

Cast Iron
Hi Folks,

We picked up a quite used HS-300, with limited floor space and a specific size part it seems like a good match. I'm aware support is not really an option. Previous Owner said it worked but the filter housing was cracked (not sure on that yet) and needs replaced. We are expecting delivery next week or shortly after.

Any recommendations on what to check and service before use, also any recommendations on safe cleaners?

We'll primarily be cutting aluminum, about 3" thick. Over and over.. unfortunately no auto wire on this model but the main goal is to get this product going and then upgrade later when we have more space/power/budget.

TIA for your advice.

-BT

Last edited:
Hi BadTad:
Give EDM Network in Illinois a call and ask if Joel Nielsen is still working for them.
I think he was trained as a Brother technician (among other machine brands) and would probably know everything you need to know about that machine.
Joel's a great guy,...I had him here once to service my Chmer machine and I really liked him.

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com

Thanks for all the info - I managed to find Ellingsen Research on ebay and they seem to have what I would need to refresh it a bit.

I'm not entirely sure what is coming with the machine. Hopefully there is a set of manuals with it, otherwise I'll try to find some.

I'd also like to find Brocomm if possible, or at least the settings and I can make my own wire and use cimco like we do with the mill. I've actually been fixing to adapt our RS232 machines to Wifi but that's another topic.

Anyway, should be here after new years now, I forgot the holidays would slow things up. I'm trying to find the power specs on it, if I can run a plug from an existing transformer and do a drop cord to it that would be better than hard wiring it, the only place we have open is by the bay doors and one of the main reasons we got this model was that it was on wheels and small foot print so I can move it as needed.

That's all I got for now, will update photos when it comes in.

Take care
BT

Wondering if anyone would recommend a good filter type and wire size for cutting 7075-T6 ?

I'd also like to find Brocomm if possible, or at least the settings and I can make my own wire and use cimco like we do with the mill. I've actually been fixing to adapt our RS232 machines to Wifi but that's another topic.

OK, so I am going to - with the greatest indifference - burst your bubble about two of those points.

First, you WILL NEED the Brother comms software. Cimco WILL NOT talk to the machine. The protocol is proprietary and nothing else out there speaks it.
Second, forget the WIFI. Forget anything USB to Serial. Forget in-between drivers. In fact, forget anything over Win-7!
The Comms software is a 16 bit BASIC program, running in DOS. The DOS shell in Win-7 is the last one that will allow Comms to recognize the port, but even that can only happen if nothing else ever touched it before Comms made an attempt.

I did reply to your message, if you give me your E-mail I can send you the software and the cable pinout, as even that isn't an off the shelf standard.

Lots of valuable info there, thank you! Thankfully I'm a bit of a nerd and have kept most of my computers in working shape, at least back to windows 95, though the closest one at hand is an old HP laptop with XP on it and all the old ports I should need. Don't mind, me I'm still going to attempt to use modern bits and bobs to do it as well. I'll put an interceptor between the wire and the comm port, listen to see how it talks and if somehow I have a breakthrough I'll report back ;)

My last comm project was making a break out box to find the pin signals to interface an old ATS rotary control box with my 2020 Okuma M560, took me two weeks and I found a flaw in the mfg's firmware and sent them an update along with in install manual for the interface I was told could not be done. Got it going from RJ45 to DB9 and back on a mcode fin signal for completion.

Anywho - Got your PM thank you very much and sent you an email that should work!

Lots of valuable info there, thank you! Thankfully I'm a bit of a nerd and have kept most of my computers in working shape, at least back to windows 95, though the closest one at hand is an old HP laptop with XP on it and all the old ports I should need. Don't mind, me I'm still going to attempt to use modern bits and bobs to do it as well. I'll put an interceptor between the wire and the comm port, listen to see how it talks and if somehow I have a breakthrough I'll report back ;)

Not sure if it's worth the effort, but by all means.
If you know BASIC, then perhaps the easiest is to dissect the code instead of looking at the back and forth ( specially when you don't even know what the machine expects )

Anyhoo, E-mail sent....

Finally got it loaded in the shop, sure is dirty but looks all there. I can't tell if there's supposed to be a rod for the wire spool, I just have a pull knob. Also someone lost the keys and it's locked.. oh boy!

Guides are marked S25 and the wire measured .010 so I think I'm set up for .010 wire. Any idea what spool size? I'm assuming 6.6lbs

1705027634294.png

That right there the shaft with the knob on it, is what I'm missing.. PO must have kept it along with the keys... eye roll.

Sucks but you could be missing something much worse. Looks simple enough to make.

Unfortunately no lathes in the shop here and I'm not sure what size I need, but I can make some guesses based on the spool ID and width. Gonna be a bugger to figure out. Hopefully I can find some parts instead.

I'm wondering if I can make one out of a shoulder bolt.. I should be able to get close, would be easier if someone here had one and could send some dimensions

I was just offered two more of these machines.. I don't think I need them or have room though.

OK, so I am going to - with the greatest indifference - burst your bubble about two of those points.

First, you WILL NEED the Brother comms software. Cimco WILL NOT talk to the machine. The protocol is proprietary and nothing else out there speaks it.
Second, forget the WIFI. Forget anything USB to Serial. Forget in-between drivers. In fact, forget anything over Win-7!
The Comms software is a 16 bit BASIC program, running in DOS. The DOS shell in Win-7 is the last one that will allow Comms to recognize the port, but even that can only happen if nothing else ever touched it before Comms made an attempt.

I did reply to your message, if you give me your E-mail I can send you the software and the cable pinout, as even that isn't an off the shelf standard.

Hi Seymour!

Just a heads up: If you ever want the Brother COMS software running on a modern machine, it is indeed possible!
I send programs to and from my HS-100 via RS-232 on a Windows 10 PC.
I run the BASIC program in a DOS-like enviroment, using DOS-Box and an appropriate GUI (Dos Panel).
I had to activate the RS-232 option in the DOS-Box configuration files. It will recognise a USB to Serial adapter, provided it it configured properly.
All in all,it's about 20ish minutes of fiddling, but absolutely worth it if you don't want to deal with command based DOS systems.

Just thought you and @BadTad might find this helpful.

Yes Sir! I've also discovered this and actually am mapping out the signals so I can use cimco. I have a terminal recording what is received vs what is sent. Not hard to figure out, it's a side project for now.

No idea on why you are spending a bunch of time on the coms before you know whether the machine even works. Get it running insert 3" aluminum try a real simple program even in MDI it may surprise you good or bad.
Bob

Back