What's new
What's new

Brother S1000 4th Setup

Well if you’re programming from COR the further you get from the centerline the more any errors in the true position will be magnified with rotation. So that’s the main reason for staying close to centerline.

When I’ve had parts that needed indexing for rotation I just have the program stop at the end with an M0 with the A axis where you want it, load/unload, then close the door and cycle start for the next line that indexes it to the next position, rinse and repeat till done and then get to your M30. I most often do it for a coolant dump and air blast in a good position, and then index to a position comfortable for the operator to pull a pallet when doing larger pallets.

I see what you mean, angular error would get worse with distance.

For indexing I was just thinking maybe since some of the other Brother machines had the capability to do this indexing maybe it would be a nice thing to add.

For indexing I was just thinking maybe since some of the other Brother machines had the capability to do this indexing maybe it would be a nice thing to add.

This option can be added, but it’s free if you do it as Stirling mentioned. This is how I’ve always done it on any machine that needs to rotate and load, in the program. Only instance I’ve ever installed or even seen the index buttons is on R Series machines.

I also just programmed in part loading and unloading code at the end of a program at the old shop. Nothing here so far that I've had to do that.

Well let me ask this- how do you do that with the door switch still enabled? Do I need to open and close the door? I’m not all that attached to that stupid little switch but it still is enabled on my new machine.

I suppose by getting into the plc logic a way could be devised to index the rotary with the door open?

Well let me ask this- how do you do that with the door switch still enabled? Do I need to open and close the door? I’m not all that attached to that stupid little switch but it still is enabled on my new machine.

I suppose by getting into the plc logic a way could be devised to index the rotary with the door open?

I personally hate when door keys are disabled/bypassed.

With how light and easy the Brother doors are to open/close, it’s never been an issue for me. Just unload, load, close door, cycle start, open door, unload, load, close door, cycle start.

Well, regarding the door switches it's got pros and cons. It's just me running these machines so if I kill myself doing something stupid they can just put it on my tomb stone. Not that I run the machine with the door open ever, that would really make a mess, it does get in the way sometimes though.

And, regarding the part loading, I'm not sold on the light brother door being no big deal to open/close. I try to have a good clean sequence worked out that's consistent in loading parts and opening and closing the door is not a welcome addition.

Well compared to a lot of machines, the Brother doors are super comfortable to open and close all day long. After running production parts on the Okuma all day my shoulder is killing me.

That said, if you have the door switch in unlocked mode (the key on the panel) you can index the 4th just at reduced speed, which isn't too bad. If you have it in locked mode you do have to completely shut it every time you want it to index to the next unload/load position.

If I am running parts and don't want to accidently bump the door open and stop the spindle, I will turn that interlock "on," then promptly forget about it and wonder WTF the table won't jog around when I'm trying to clear it off later... oops.

It may be possible to hook up an index button that can be used in memory mode. You will need to test.

20220215_111447.jpg

There are inputs you can map to OUTAP (positve) or OUTAM (negative) for A axis. There is also inputs you can map for B axis. Map this, and momentarily jumper the input and see if rotary rotates. Default is 180 degrees. Can be set to other angles in User Parameters. Any momentary switch can be used if you want to hook up permanently

I tried that. My table is the B axis. I was able to get the signals OUTBP and OUTBM mapped to inputs. When I close the switch looking on the ext input screen I can see that they are making as I close the switch. Checked the user params and they are set to 180. So not sure.

Tried it in Memory, Manual, MDI, door open, door closed. No table movement.

I tried that. My table is the B axis. I was able to get the signals OUTBP and OUTBM mapped to inputs. When I close the switch looking on the ext input screen I can see that they are making as I close the switch. Checked the user params and they are set to 180. So not sure.

Tried it in Memory, Manual, MDI, door open, door closed. No table movement.

Probably not available function on the S series machines. Intended for the R series pallet machines for the outer pallet. Try putting the load moves at the end of the program before M30 separated by M0. Like this:

;
;
M0;
G0 B90.
M0
G0 B180.
:
M30

According to Finsta, the table will move at a slower rate (good thing) but move with the door open. If that doesn't work, maybe add a switch with a key, like the door interlock key, that bypasses the door interlock 'for set up people only'.

Sounds good thanks! I can make it work and was thinking that building it into the code would be the way that I would do it. Having an index button would be very slick though.

Sounds good thanks! I can make it work and was thinking that building it into the code would be the way that I would do it. Having an index button would be very slick though.

It can also be done by switching to manual mode then using the 4th jog keys in 'STEP' mode. You can set the step for 90 or 180 etc. You just need to switch back and forth between Manual and Memory mode. Not as neat but functional.

Back