What's new
What's new

Brother Speedio vs Okuma M560-V

On a Brother, you can do it in the cut. Starting back up, I put the feed rate knob down to zero then quickly back to 100% after resuming so the cutter doesn't have to resume cutting from a dead stop.

I don't know you can get a 3/4" holder with a Bt30..?

In my case, TG-100 collet chucks from various manufacturers. I have Lyndex, YIJC (or some other name, I can't recall exactly) and others.

Actually, I often run 1" DIA tools in the Robodrill with those TG-100 collet chucks.

They run those tools all day without issues. Sometimes there's only an inch of Z-travel between home and the part top with a big chunk of material in the vise and a 4" long x 1" diameter carbide endmill. Makes for scary toolchanges sometimes :)

Just wanted to update the thread... I decided to go with the Brother Speedio.

I placed the order last week and the machine should be here around the end of February. That was my choice - Yamazen could deliver sooner, but I need to get a surplus of machining done so I can take my existing mill out of service for a couple of weeks so I can clean it up and sell it, then I figure it will be a couple more weeks to get the Speedio installed and actually making parts (gotta tool it up and re-write a lot of my CAM programs).

It largely came down to price. I am sure I would have been happy with either machine, but the bottom line is either one will do the work I NEED to do now, but Yamazen delivered with a great price that let me splurge on a 4th axis and probing and some other options - that made the choice much clearer.

Very excited to get the new machine. I am resisting the urge to go hog wild getting all new everything... guess I'll wait to get the machine first and see what accessories I want to prioritize. My first brandy-new machine ever... I think I'll be afraid to scratch the paint!

Just wanted to update the thread... I decided to go with the Brother Speedio.

I placed the order last week and the machine should be here around the end of February. That was my choice - Yamazen could deliver sooner, but I need to get a surplus of machining done so I can take my existing mill out of service for a couple of weeks so I can clean it up and sell it, then I figure it will be a couple more weeks to get the Speedio installed and actually making parts (gotta tool it up and re-write a lot of my CAM programs).

It largely came down to price. I am sure I would have been happy with either machine, but the bottom line is either one will do the work I NEED to do now, but Yamazen delivered with a great price that let me splurge on a 4th axis and probing and some other options - that made the choice much clearer.

Very excited to get the new machine. I am resisting the urge to go hog wild getting all new everything... guess I'll wait to get the machine first and see what accessories I want to prioritize. My first brandy-new machine ever... I think I'll be afraid to scratch the paint!
Congrats!! Which one did you get?
Some of my cycle times dropped 50 percent. Hope it all goes great!

My first brandy-new machine ever... I think I'll be afraid to scratch the paint!

Don't scratch it. Chip blast it!
20181228_171842.jpg

My Brother was my first brand-new machine as well. Perfectly happy with it.
Like eaglemike, I realized a 50% reduction in cycle time. And, think there is more I haven't tapped in to yet (actually I know there is!)

Congrats, you will love it!

And, think there is more I haven't tapped in to yet (actually I know there is!)

The blessing and the curse of these machines is that they always have more to give as far as cycle time. The tool change and acceleration gives them a big head start out of the box, but there are many levers and tricks you can use to fish for even more gains.

Remember - it is a machine built by a company that makes 90% of revenue doing huge volume production, and is primarily designed for guys like Toyota and Apple suppliers for whom a 2 second cycle time reduction is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. There are dozens of little tricks up the Speedio's skirt to do remarkable things, and it can drive you as mad as using a 0.00005" indicator on a 4 jaw chuck trying to optimize out the ying!

Congrats!! Which one did you get?
Some of my cycle times dropped 50 percent. Hope it all goes great!

Went with the S700X1 with 16k spindle, Sankyo 4th axis and Renishaw spindle probe and tool setter. Also got the high accuracy mode, MPG and spindle override. I was looking at the S1000 but I make small parts and would have only used the extra space to load up the table with parts, but I put the money into the Renishaw and 4th instead which will be MUCH bigger productivity enhancements, I think.

I think I will probably see much more than 50% cycle time improvements :) I'm coming from a 6k spindle, an umbrella tool changer that takes maybe 20 seconds chip-chip to change tools, and drip feeding 3D surfacing programs at 9600 baud with the machine sometimes stuttering because I just can't stuff the program into the control fast enough. Most programs take about an hour to run. I'm hoping/thinking they will be more like 15 minutes or maybe less now :) That'll be.... nice, but so different than what I am used to!

I think I will probably see much more than 50% cycle time improvements :) I'm coming from a 6k spindle, an umbrella tool changer that takes maybe 20 seconds chip-chip to change tools, and drip feeding 3D surfacing programs at 9600 baud with the machine sometimes stuttering because I just can't stuff the program into the control fast enough. Most programs take about an hour to run. I'm hoping/thinking they will be more like 15 minutes or maybe less now :) That'll be.... nice, but so different than what I am used to!

Oh my. You are in for a shock. In a good way ;).

Regards.

Mike

Went with the S700X1 with 16k spindle, Sankyo 4th axis and Renishaw spindle probe and tool setter. Also got the high accuracy mode, MPG and spindle override. I was looking at the S1000 but I make small parts and would have only used the extra space to load up the table with parts, but I put the money into the Renishaw and 4th instead which will be MUCH bigger productivity enhancements, I think.

I think I will probably see much more than 50% cycle time improvements :)

Awesome machine and choice of options. That is a powerful tool for your work. Congrats on your first new machine!

Your going to have some of the same problems I have had. I ran a small batch of parts last week, first side was 23 seconds, second side was about 40 seconds, third side was about 30 seconds. I couldn't saw stock or change parts fast enough. A repeat job that I had run from my previous CNC went from ~ 7 minutes for a completed part down to ~ 1:15.

In the just shy of 3 months I've had the machine I've run myself out of paid work for it, prototyped all the in house products I had cash for and made some things, just cause I could. Fortunately I have plenty of other work that I can focus on, but it sure would be nice to find something loooong running.

Worst thing is I can not stay ahead of the machine. I used to always have the next two jobs programmed, tooling built, and stock sawn. Now I am lucky to be programming the second side between changing over the first!

You will be VERY happy with the machine. I have programmed several parts and just sat and laughed at the projected machining time.

As far as scratching the paint, this was my first new machine, and I have babied it, but don't worry about the paint, the table is softer and scratches much easier than the paint!

Thats on a brand new machine? IF so I got ripped off on a DEMO.

HT versus 16k standard and other options. The devil is in the details. I don't talk about pricing because there are so many variables. When you run your machine, do you feel you got ripped of?

Andy

HT versus 16k standard and other options. The devil is in the details. I don't talk about pricing because there are so many variables. When you run your machine, do you feel you got ripped of?

Andy

You are right. 😈 Is in the details. My mistake to jump to conclusions and assume that it would be the same spindle. As far the machine goes, it has been great so far.

Back