What's new
What's new

Brother tc-s2a not homing z axis

Jandmriggs

Plastic
Hello, just got my brother tc-s2a powered up and I’m getting a 6165 *org pos error z alarm when trying to home. I took the z axis drive motor off when I moved it into my garage and wondering if that is why it’s not homing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

You probably have revolvers on all the axis you have to get the Z in proper postion for tool change (no limit switches to home like the good old days). I have no experience with these but I know they exist.
Somebody will steer you in right direction in a couple of days with more knowledge than me on how to do this procedure. Get the books on this machine.
Once you get it up and running change batteries and do a full backup of all the parameters.

Does
You probably have revolvers on all the axis you have to get the Z in proper postion for tool change (no limit switches to home like the good old days). I have no experience with these but I know they exist.
Somebody will steer you in right direction in a couple of days with more knowledge than me on how to do this procedure. Get the books on this machine.
Once you get it up and running change batteries and do a full backup of all the parameters.
Does Brother use Colt or Ruger or some other brand of revolver on their axes??? 😉.

Brother use encoders for position feedback. Resolvers are a less trustworthy feedback system than encoders for CNC applications.

Check your z axis limit switches. From memory I think The way that machine homes is that it heads for home until it hits the first limit switch. Once it hits the switch it continues till it finds the home mark on the encoder. You may need to loosen the motor coupling (block the head first I think) and turn the motor on the shaft half a turn. As it is it may be reaching the end of stroke before it sees the encoder home mark.

Also, you may need to hit reset, then hold the release button while holding the down button to get it between the limit switches before homing.

Last edited:
Yes. When you removed the Z axis motor you changed the position of the encoder relative to the ball screw. Follow the procedure in the manual regarding replacing the motor and adjusting the zero position. It is important to get the zero position correct as it affects the tool change action. There is local support in Tempe. They get down to Tucson frequently.
For those curious, this thread is discussing the older Brother machines with incremental encoders and origin/limit switches that needed zero-returning whenever they power up. Newer machines such as Speedios have Absolute encoders with no origin or limit switches and never need zero-returning except when initializing a new motor or drive.

Last edited:

Back