What's new
What's new

Brother vs Robodrill vs DMG Mori DMP

70olds

Aluminum
I'm sure the DMGs were China built?
I never realised the Mk2 were a changed factory.
It's a shame because in looking at the machine iron, it looks very good.
I remember hearing big PLC issues when it was first introduced - very poor integration between the machine and the Siemens

We were told Japanese or German builds, no China.

Our issues were rotary unions failing destroying spindles, spindles just going bad on their own, scales getting clogged with chips since the are not protected well, and some control issues which is a treat to deal with since DMG Mori is incapable and has to call Siemens. 6 grand blank check for them to come out and tell us we had to flip a reset switch somewhere but they couldn't tell the tech that was there for two days to try it. No explanation to why it happened or how we can prevent it in the future.

plastikdreams

Diamond
Perhaps define "damn near?" :o
It's usually only in posts where someone is thinking of purchasing a machine.
BTW, there are others here who work for them currently, and some folk who work for other MTB's here, they usually do the same on this topic.

Maybe it's the way I comb my hair, you don't like? :D

Ah not sure why anyone cares, but...I do see you saying that and I take it as you are informing that you did work for them so you could possibly provide some additional info to the person.

eaglemike

Stainless
I had a Robo, and have Brother machines now. I prefer the Brother control. I found Yamazen support to be better/quicker too. I had a few weird things happen on the Robo, (being Fanuc) although they do hold their value well. Fanuc control will be supported for a long time, but support and parts can be costly in my experience. If you get a good deal on the Robo, and are happy with the control, go for it. I've never doubted my choice of Brother machines after I got the first one.
Good luck!

Last edited:

barbter

Diamond
We were told Japanese or German builds, no China.

This machine was the very first collaboration between both Mori and DMG design teams.
The first "joint venture" after their merger.
I am 99% sure, the machines were built in a DMG China facility....

gkoenig

Titanium
I have a decent amount of experience with both, but obviously a lot more with the Speedio since I own one.

This is a very Ford v. Chevy argument. For most job shop, in-house production, and garage shops I think the Speedio is the better choice. The C-00 control is extremely capable and way nicer to use on an everyday basis, these machines features a bunch of great operator details (the door/feed hold behavior, for example), and support from Yamazen is world class. You also have the 16k spindle option, which I think is more flexible than either the 10k or the 24k Robodrill options. Not for nothing, but in facilities that have Robodrills and Speedios, the Speedios are typically 5-10% faster.

Robodrills come with very advanced Fanuc controls, drives, and servos. It is essentially a 3 axis VMC outfitted with the same guts as a very nice 5 axis mill. I think these machines have superior motion control and are the clearly better choice if you have parts with a lot of intensive surfacing work - medical implants, wet-area aerospace, turbines, molds, etc. The problem with the Robodrill is that you're going to pay for all that capability, and unless you need it for that class of parts, the ROI sucks.
dddd

BROTHERFRANK

Stainless
This is a very Ford v. Chevy argument.

A little tongue in cheek but I was going to suggest an alternate thread title 'Chevy vs Ford vs Yugo'. No offense to any Yugo lovers out there! I am partial to Blue (blue Chevys). Something else you get with Brother is a wider range of offerings. Not only do you have the Small, Medium and Large (S300, S500 and S700), but you have the Extra Large (W1000Xd1), the Quick Table pallet machines (R450 and R650, up to 41 Tools) and the M200/M300 machines with 4+1 and turning.

plastikdreams

Diamond
A little tongue in cheek but I was going to suggest an alternate thread title 'Chevy vs Ford vs Yugo'. No offense to any Yugo lovers out there! I am partial to Blue (blue Chevys).

Hey there's a guy trying to back chamfer stuff in a thread...go help him before he has a stroke please. :D