What's new
What's new

Brother vs Robodrill vs DMG Mori DMP

I had a Robo, and have Brother machines now. I prefer the Brother control. I found Yamazen support to be better/quicker too. I had a few weird things happen on the Robo, (being Fanuc) although they do hold their value well. Fanuc control will be supported for a long time, but support and parts can be costly in my experience. If you get a good deal on the Robo, and are happy with the control, go for it. I've never doubted my choice of Brother machines after I got the first one.
Good luck!

Last edited:
I have a decent amount of experience with both, but obviously a lot more with the Speedio since I own one.

This is a very Ford v. Chevy argument. For most job shop, in-house production, and garage shops I think the Speedio is the better choice. The C-00 control is extremely capable and way nicer to use on an everyday basis, these machines features a bunch of great operator details (the door/feed hold behavior, for example), and support from Yamazen is world class. You also have the 16k spindle option, which I think is more flexible than either the 10k or the 24k Robodrill options. Not for nothing, but in facilities that have Robodrills and Speedios, the Speedios are typically 5-10% faster.

Robodrills come with very advanced Fanuc controls, drives, and servos. It is essentially a 3 axis VMC outfitted with the same guts as a very nice 5 axis mill. I think these machines have superior motion control and are the clearly better choice if you have parts with a lot of intensive surfacing work - medical implants, wet-area aerospace, turbines, molds, etc. The problem with the Robodrill is that you're going to pay for all that capability, and unless you need it for that class of parts, the ROI sucks.
dddd

This is a very Ford v. Chevy argument.

A little tongue in cheek but I was going to suggest an alternate thread title 'Chevy vs Ford vs Yugo'. No offense to any Yugo lovers out there! I am partial to Blue (blue Chevys). Something else you get with Brother is a wider range of offerings. Not only do you have the Small, Medium and Large (S300, S500 and S700), but you have the Extra Large (W1000Xd1), the Quick Table pallet machines (R450 and R650, up to 41 Tools) and the M200/M300 machines with 4+1 and turning.

A little tongue in cheek but I was going to suggest an alternate thread title 'Chevy vs Ford vs Yugo'. No offense to any Yugo lovers out there! I am partial to Blue (blue Chevys).

Hey there's a guy trying to back chamfer stuff in a thread...go help him before he has a stroke please. :D

This machine was the very first collaboration between both Mori and DMG design teams.
The first "joint venture" after their merger.
I am 99% sure, the machines were built in a DMG China facility....
You're 99% wrong. The Chinese machines were the DuraVertical 635v and 1035v Eco. The milltap was built in Japan at first, then later in Germany.

Not what i was told.
Shoukda been a whole different better class then.
:popcorn:

The MillTap was never built in China from what I've heard.

They started in Japan as the primary global producer, the same way Fanuc Tsukuba or Brother Kairya supply all the non-China destined Robodrills and Speedios out of single facilities. Both companies have lines in China set up to produce machines to get around the insane tariffs the Chinese impose on Japanese machine tools.

For DMG Mori however, they set up the Chinese-destination line in Bielfeld, Germany. Apparently the Chinese are just fine with imported German machine tools, so they don't tariff them the way they do Japanese ones. At least in the beginning, German MillTaps never saw the light of day outside of a Catcher or Foxcon factory in mainland China, but I don't know if that has persisted as they cleaned up the MillTap mess and morphed it into the DMP... DPM? Whatever 3 random letters 70 they bufferflied that fiasco into.

Back