What's new
What's new

Brown and Sharpe 618 Micromaster (Slicing and Dicing)???

mcbassin

Aluminum
I have a chance to buy a Brown and Sharpe 618 Micromaster (Slicing and Dicing) surface grinder, or is it cutter?
I cannot find any info about this unit. I have used many 618 machines in the past but never the slicing and dicing model.
I'm wondering if it can be converted to a regular surface grinding machine? Has anyone ever heard of these?
And finally, Does anyone know if the spindle RPM is the same as regular grinder?
thanks,
IMG_6044.jpg

Slicer-dicers as a factory mod on conventional surface grinders, were used in the early years of silicon wafers. Cutting the chunk of crystal ("boule") grown synthetically, into slices for electronic applications.

I do not know if they can be modified, but can't imagine why not. I don't think much was changed except a means for fine control of the wafer thickness and perhaps some slow speed circuits in the hydraulics.

smt

Would look at the spindle carefully it may well be non std, most silicone - wafer cutting is done with smaller diamond high speed blades than your tyical 7" wheel which is more or less the 6x18" grinder std.

I would also be careful of any remaining residue from the previous use, some wafers are highly toxic!

If thats the machine in question it looks like it had a pretty easy life unless its been well repainted. hence may have very little in the way of wear?

Back