What's new
What's new

Brown & Sharpe mic identification

Sundance-Kid

Plastic
Hi everyone,

I purchased a lot that includes some Brown & Sharpe micrometers (200-203) that need some cleanup.

It has proven difficult to find info on the particular style but I believe they may be “Tesamasters”. Does anyone have some information in the way of a parts breakout or disassembly instructions? Two of them have enough resistance that the ratchet slips in normal operation. I would like to get them cleaned up and in good working order.

Attachments

• IMG_7665.jpeg
    IMG_7665.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7663.jpeg
    IMG_7663.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 34
I've got a zero to 3" set by Tesa. I'll take a look in the toolbox to see what the accompanying booklets say. Nominally, you can just unscrew the thimble until it comes off the threads. There's a keyway and small plastic key to manage the rotating block so you can be off by .025" increments if you don't get them back on right.

I've got a zero to 3" set by Tesa. I'll take a look in the toolbox to see what the accompanying booklets say. Nominally, you can just unscrew the thimble until it comes off the threads. There's a keyway and small plastic key to manage the rotating block so you can be off by .025" increments if you don't get them back on right.
That would be greatly appreciated!

And that is good info to know. thanks a ton!

Yup. Slant lines. I don't know if anyone else made these ? I personally don't like them but they are a nice mic, worth cleaning up.
I'm new to this thread so excuse me if I'm not posting in the right place. But the form I was reading the guy hasn't posted since 2011. Antique mechanics I think was his name, either way, can you tell me what this micrometer is? Is I've been searching for one like it and I haven't found any and in the other form it said that it was before the number one?

Attachments

• PXL_20240224_013700755.jpg
    PXL_20240224_013700755.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20240224_013801086.jpg
    PXL_20240224_013801086.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20240224_022703713.jpg
    PXL_20240224_022703713.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 13
Sheet metal and wire gauge mic. First pic, the numbers on the left are for sheet metal gauges. The numbers on the right are Stubs wire gauges.
Thanks, I've never seen one like it. I've been looking on the internet for about 45 minutes and all these models have an NO# number and this one doesn't and I was reading a thread about particular models that weren't numbered like NO#4 and such, but for some reason out of hundreds I've looked at none of them look like this one? I think it's either a prototype or the first year of manufacturing? Either way I appreciate it. Thank you..

Older B&S measuring tools didn't have models on them. I don't think that became the norm for them until the 1930's or so? I'm not a B&S expert but the script and construction style for that mic look somewhere between 1900 and 1920. You might be able to find it in one of their catalogs from that era.

I'm new to this thread so excuse me if I'm not posting in the right place. But the form I was reading the guy hasn't posted since 2011. Antique mechanics I think was his name, either way, can you tell me what this micrometer is? Is I've been searching for one like it and I haven't found any and in the other form it said that it was before the number one?
"Antique Mac" is who you are referring to, and he passed away a few years ago. Rivett608 and PeteM are also extremely knowledgeable about old micrometers. Perhaps one of them will chime in shortly.

Back