What's new
What's new

BROWNING FN .32 Pistol

Hitlist

Cast Iron
I have an old FN .32 and I think it is in great shape for its age.
I was looking for opinions whether I should clean this gun up and restore its finish back to new or leave it as is.
To me it would be something to do and extra practice on a gun with lots of curves.
If someone knows value or thinks it would be better to leave it alone, Please let me know.

Thanks
IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

Boy I think that old horse deserves to live it's days out as it sits. It is your gun though, do what you want.

Well everything on it is still sharp and clear. The letters and numbers are not wore out. Matching numbers on everything by the way.Screw heads are good and so is the checkering.Has some normal wear for a gun of this age and use. It does have a broken extractor though.Would like to find one for it.
Will see what the synopsis is on here as to what I do to it.

Thanks for reply.

If it were my gun I would work to make it functional again then spray it with a corrosion inhibitor and store it away for some future display of guns from that era.

Before storage consider creating a collectable package that includes a target that you have shot showing a nice tight group using custom hand loads. That's as far as I would go.

Enjoy your project.

"To restore or not restore, that is the question."This forum has some incredible examples of machinery being saved and brought back to better than new in some cases.I am humbled by the skill and knowledge that many members have.Many on this forum have an emotional attachment for things mechanical and many times we see the remark "I wish it could talk"...we love our machines.To take a nice pistol as you have there and restore it requires that you really question yourself if you have the ability to come close to what its makers produced when new.Some time ago I restored a 1892 Winchester rifle that had been purchased new by my great grand father around 1907. People said I shouldnt do it as it would "ruin" its value.As I never intend to sell it I restored it with the help of some quality "smiths' that knew how it would have been delivered in '07. Point being can you do it justice or will it someday be subject to another wanting to do the same thing and wondering why "somebody" did this or that.I have a special liking for Colt 1905 .45's. I thought I would buy a "beater" and refinish it.Then I looked at Doug Turnbull's website and saw how he does a restoration on a rare pistol like the '05's....truley a Luke Skywalker/Yoda moment.
I know how you feel though, wouldnt it be nice to see it and hold it as it was when new?Nice piece by the way.
CK
www.turnbullrestoration.com

The finish on that 100 year old pistol looks to be pretty good. I would leave it be. I once refinished a 1908 Colt (.380) that was rusty and pitted and had doubts about doing that. That said, I am pleased with the results and I think many would have a hard time discerning if it was refinished without a close inspection. I did not chase out all the pitting. Collectors want original finish. somewhre I have a copy from a gun magazine about refinishing or restoring. A salty old Colt SAA with plenty of wear tells a certain story. A refinished or restored SAA does not have any story other than it was refinished.

Leave it like it is, clean and oil it. As the others said, the gun tells a story. If you have an urge to play with a gun like this, buy a russian Tokarev 33 on the cheap. Enough sharp edges there to play till kingdom come.

Johann, have you seen any Russian TT33's for cheap lately? A good original Russian TT33 can fetch $600.

You've got a pretty nice looking FN Model 1910... My personal opinion would be to leave it alone. You could do a serial number search/research and determine when it was made. Based on my research it is not terribly valuable, but it is a nice pistol.

Get it repaired and cleaned up and enjoy it as a nice example of an old pistol.

Well it seems so far that I should leave well enough alone.I agree. The pictures don't do it justice actually.I guess I will try to replace the extractor and clean it up again. Where would be a good place to search the serial numbers on it?

Thanx

Give the pistol a wipe down with 0000 steel wool and light oil to remove any hint of surface rust, then repair and clean the gun and enjoy it on the range.

"Restoration" done without the right tools by someone that doesn't understand the nuances (dished screw and pin holes, for instance) reduces the value of the gun and the defects likely can't be corrected, certainly not economically.

HOLLISTERGC-
It is a model 1900. Wrote out West to see if they had extractor ,if not I will make one.
Oiled it up and will do some sort of cleaning at a later date.

Thanx

Sorry, I didn't look at the photo's close enough...

This is off another site on the web and should give you an idea of the year of production... It's not exact but should help get you close.

1900-1901 10,000 FN 1900 pistols serial # 1 to 10,000
1901-1902 21,700 pistols produced 10,001 to 31,700
1902- 1903 40,000 produced serial # 31,701 to 71,700
Aug 4, 1904 serial number 100,000
1903-1907 328,300 produced serial # 71,701 to 400,000
1907-1910 275,000 produced serial # 400,001 to 675,000
1910-1914 49,550 produced serial # 675,000 to 724,550

Johann, have you seen any Russian TT33's for cheap lately? A good original Russian TT33 can fetch $600.

I´ve seen battered ones for 200-250 Euros, not nice but mechanically sound. Why buy a perfect one when you want something to play and rework?

You should leave it as is. I think any refinish you devalue it. Just oil it and amybe a light steel wool as has been mentioned. I think it looks good like it is.
Tom

You would think that with the small lack of information on these pistols they might be a little more valuable.I did find some of the same info out there that is posted plus a book or two that can be had but its all basically the same . My serial is in the 300000 range so it is narrowed down.I believe you can pay for a certificate of authenticity from browning with details of where it was made but not sure if it would cover the FN types at all.

Thanx

Back