What's new
What's new

Buying a used VMC

Panza

Stainless
I am in the process of buying a VMC. I started out looking at new machines and I have gotten quotes from the usual MTB's. I was pretty much set on a new machine until we got to the "terms".
So I started looking at used machinery. Mainly DMG/Mori NV or NVX machines. I have found no used machines where the seller offers some kind of warranty, even though the machines are priced sky high. Example: 2005 Mori NV: €135.000.
First question: Do they sell the used machines at asking price ? The ones I have tried to get down in price seems pretty firm, even when the machine has been for sale for more than a year.
Second question: When buying used: Is it simply a matter of go look at it and bring a dial indicator to check backlash and spindle sound/runout ? And condition of ways on a machine that has those... Seems easy enough to get screwed if you need to replace a couple of ball screw or a spindle..
Maybe I am better off saving up some more and get a new machine just like I want..

I see dealers asking sky high prices for used machines all the time. Seen in a bunch of cases where they are asking more than the machine was new…

Best luck I’ve had with buying machines is purchasing direct from an individual.

I’ve gotten quotes on new machines but as of late prices are very inflated.

For checking Machines I tend to just take an indicator and listen to the machine.

Ask to see maintenance records, PM schedules, could do an oil analysis, but thats pretty anal for a CNC machine.

Look into electrical cabinets.

Seems like major electrical parts last about 20 years, in the last year had to replace sooo many 20ish year old drives.

One blew up and sounded like a shotgun going off.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I am in the process of buying a VMC. I started out looking at new machines and I have gotten quotes from the usual MTB's. I was pretty much set on a new machine until we got to the "terms".
So I started looking at used machinery. Mainly DMG/Mori NV or NVX machines. I have found no used machines where the seller offers some kind of warranty, even though the machines are priced sky high. Example: 2005 Mori NV: €135.000.
First question: Do they sell the used machines at asking price ? The ones I have tried to get down in price seems pretty firm, even when the machine has been for sale for more than a year.
Second question: When buying used: Is it simply a matter of go look at it and bring a dial indicator to check backlash and spindle sound/runout ? And condition of ways on a machine that has those... Seems easy enough to get screwed if you need to replace a couple of ball screw or a spindle..
Maybe I am better off saving up some more and get a new machine just like I want..

It depends on the market and the area you are in.
I've seen used CNCs go for "new" prices only because there was a shortage of new machines coming in. Supply and demand.
With most CNC tools you're going for condition. I've seen five year old machines that had the living crap kicked out of them, and 40 year old machines that looked like new. Of course, I've seen the opposite as well.

Most used CNC dealers are selling at or close to, asking price. Warranties are virtually non-existent.

I'd much rather buy from a shop than from a dealer. You can look at a shop and see how the machine has lived its life up to that point. You have no idea at a dealer.

It might be worth it to save a few more Euros and buy new.

Used?? Depends on your mechanical and electrical skills.....

I just purchased an older mill, Thankfully I have the skillset and was able to bring it back to operating condition.

If you need someone to do your repairs then you may want to buy new......

Thanks guys for many good tips ! I think I will hold off at least for a while. See if I can get some more cash ready. A new NVX is almost double the price of a Doosan DNM. Can't quite get my head around that. It can't be the slides vs linear rails bacuse the DMG DMC is the same price as the NVX more or less. Anyway...

Thanks guys for many good tips ! I think I will hold off at least for a while. See if I can get some more cash ready. A new NVX is almost double the price of a Doosan DNM. Can't quite get my head around that. It can't be the slides vs linear rails bacuse the DMG DMC is the same price as the NVX more or less. Anyway...

I used to work for Doosan, and the DNM is a great value for the money. Is there a Doosan distributor/dealer near you?

Back