What's new
What's new

Buying equipment hope or reality?

This just screams automation. Get a robot. Run unattended and print money while you sleep....

THEN once you are up in the 80%+ spindle churnin time get another spindle, preferably with another robot to keep it company.
I totally agree that robotic automation is the way to go, but I think it's too early for the OP. Ask anyone who's setup their own robotic cell... it's weeks and weeks of trial and error. OP really ought to have two milling spindles so he can F around with automation on spindle #2 while spindle #1 pays the bills.

If he's serious about automation over the horizon, his second mill should be a true 5-axis. A VMC with bolt-on 5th is less than idea, primarily due to chip evac and clearance issues.

Get the 560. I have one with Koma 5th on it and one with a koma 4th. The 4th puts out more work than the 5th. I make 4 sides supported and unsupported "tombstones" and run some pretty long cycle times.

You could get a cheapish low speed 4th for indexing and spend a few K in something like the 5th axis Rocklock design and manually rotate 90 degrees without losing positional accuracy. Something like this. https://5thaxis.com/product/rl96a-t31/

More machines means more supplemental equipment. If you're doing high end work some customers won't like that you don't have redundancy in case one machine goes down. We didn't need a CMM until we did...

Get the 560. I have one with Koma 5th on it and one with a koma 4th. The 4th puts out more work than the 5th.
There's another point that we don't know. Are these parts amenable to a horizontal ? There's plenty of horizontals out there pretty cheap, and they kick ass over verticals production-wise. Maybe this talk of a 5 axis vmc is not the best plan.

There's another point that we don't know. Are these parts amenable to a horizontal ? There's plenty of horizontals out there pretty cheap, and they kick ass over verticals production-wise. Maybe this talk of a 5 axis vmc is not the best plan.
I've got a 6 pallet pool horizontal as well and the 4th fitted vertical sees about as much "production" work. We use ours for complex scheduled work that can't be torn down between runs.

The work is going to dictate what machine is needed.

Back