What's new
What's new

Buying metal in Temecula or San Diego area for small shop.

Flail

Cast Iron
In the past year the wife and I have moved from Hood River, OR to Bonsall, CA. One thing I gave up was a 5400 sqft shop that I had just finished as well as constant wind, 6 months of rain per year, a month of snow, boiling summers and a yard that could be best described as the earths mantle in the summer and goose grease and ball bearings in the winter. Now that I’m getting settled in and am retired I need to start working on projects here such as a gate entrance and an excavator quick attach. I’ve got all the typical manual tools, lathes, mills, various welders, bender. I deserve some retirement fun without the hassle of “I need it today.” What I request from you fine gents is referral to metal supplier in north county or Temecula that sells retail small amounts to full sticks, plate and DOM with reasonable prices and bright smiling personalities. Any recommendations of where to go and who to avoid?

In a pinch Online Metals location in Seattle can probably get it to you in 2 days. They routinely do next day (standard shipping, not premium) to the Portland area. Limited to about 6' lengths to keep the shipping charges down.

Borrmann metals here in Burbank CA, delivers to your area several times a week. They are a full line steel and aluminum supplier.

Borrmannmetals.com.

And yes to: "small amounts to full sticks, plate and DOM with reasonable prices"

1 Jaw

Last edited:
Borrmann metals here in Burbank CA, delivers to your area several times a week. They are a full line steel and aluminum supplier.

Borrmannmetals.com.

Chuck
Interesting. I had no idea there was another supplier in the area. Do they have remnant bins? How do they compare to Industrial Metals?

A bit of a haul for the OP to drive to Sun Valley but, I'll throw Industrial Metal Supply in there. Lots of precuts available in a variety of alloys. Pretty decent remnant bins and if you're ordering, they have trucks that travel quite a bit of southern California.

Coast Aluminum is in Santa Fe Springs but, I'd mail order before I'd give them another dime.

In a pinch Online Metals location in Seattle can probably get it to you in 2 days. They routinely do next day (standard shipping, not premium) to the Portland area. Limited to about 6' lengths to keep the shipping charges down.
FWIW, Online Metals is no longer "in Seattle." They closed Ballard location. They have a pickup-only location in South Seattle, but no longer ship material out of Seattle.

Also FWIW, and it might be a one-time bad deal, but I am still waiting for them to fulfill an order I placed on July 19. I've tried twice to contact them but no replies.

I'm bummed, as they were a good source of small-quantity non-Aluminum that usually delivered in 1-2 days from Seattle.

Regards.

Last edited:
Escondido Metal supply on Mission Ave. Escondido
Industrial metal supply on Ronson rd in Kearney Mesa. Has a lot of material cut into 1 and 2 foot lengths. Full sticks as well.

Why? Coast has been pretty solid for me for many years.
They were my employer's regular aluminum supplier. Lots of aluminum. Ongoing orders. We needed a single 20-foot stick of aluminum I-beam--I believe 3x3". Uncut, it wouldn't fit on our company truck. Driver just drives, he doesn't cut. They didn't have a saw in their will-call area for cutting small customer orders. Said it was going to take like a week or something to get to it (cut it in half). I told them to charge us $100 expedite fee. Whatever it took. We absolutely had to have that material at our facility the next day.

So two engineers had to get in a personal pickup truck, picked up a personal generator and sawzall at home, drove 100 miles and cut the freaking thing in their parking lot. All the while, their slick-dressed "sales associates" in the front were adamant that they couldn't do anything about a single saw cut to accommodate us. I made sure nothing I ever worked on after that went through Coast.

They were my employer's regular aluminum supplier. Lots of aluminum. Ongoing orders. We needed a single 20-foot stick of aluminum I-beam--I believe 3x3". Uncut, it wouldn't fit on our company truck. Driver just drives, he doesn't cut. They didn't have a saw in their will-call area for cutting small customer orders. Said it was going to take like a week or something to get to it (cut it in half). I told them to charge us $100 expedite fee. Whatever it took. We absolutely had to have that material at our facility the next day.

So two engineers had to get in a personal pickup truck, picked up a personal generator and sawzall at home, drove 100 miles and cut the freaking thing in their parking lot. All the while, their slick-dressed "sales associates" in the front were adamant that they couldn't do anything about a single saw cut to accommodate us. I made sure nothing I ever worked on after that went through Coast.

I've always had good dealings with Coast, and usually start there for aluminum and some stainless quotes. I wouldn't expect a supplier to unload their saw just to cut one length if it was already tied up cutting jobs. I've sawzalled HSS 40' and 48' lengths in half at my steel supplier before they loaded me a few times, because I knew it would save a day or two waiting to get on their saw, or get on their truck. (they first moved them outside the fence before letting me cut them iirc)

Last edited:
I've always had good dealings with Coast, and usually start there for aluminum and some stainless quotes. I wouldn't expect a supplier to unload their saw just to cut one length if it was already tied up cutting jobs. I've sawzalled HSS 40' and 48' lengths in half at my steel supplier before they loaded me a few times, because I knew it would save a day or two waiting to get on their saw, or get on their truck. (they first moved them outside the fence before letting me cut them iirc)
Yep. My argument was that they didn't have a PoS horizontal on the will call dock to do just such jobs. Industrial metal Supply has cut stuff in 20 minutes for pickup. I get not wanting to unload a big saw. They're in the business of selling metal. A band saw is not an extraordinary expectation. They sure had no problem driving the bar out on a big, nice shiny forklift. They had no issues decorating their nice sales showroom that I'm sure almost nobody ever visits in person. I could have bought a Harbor Freight bandsaw, used it once in their parking lot and abandoned it there for less than the labor cost that day.

Try Marshall’s Industrial across the road from Miramar. They have decent selection of metal as well as extensive plumbing, fastener stock and tools. The finest retail hardware store I've entered. I hope they haven't changed much as it's been a few years since I was there.

8423 Production Ave, San Diego, CA 92121

Agree that Marshall's Hardware is a fantastic place, its almost as good as McMaster Carr. Not much in the way of full sticks of bar stock or tubing though. And Abby's real Texas BBQ is just one block away.

FWIW, Online Metals is no longer "in Seattle." They closed Ballard location. They have a pickup-only location in South Seattle, but no longer ship material out of Seattle.
This was news to me, so I had a look at their website. They have added a shipping point in Portland, which is less than 20 miles away from me. They have a total of six shipping points nationwide, including one in LA which I am sure would be next-day shipping to Temecula/SanDiego.
They claim 1-day or 2-day service to most of CONUS, with the 3-day remainder being the Dakotas, eastern Montana, much of Wyoming, western Colorado, and a small chunk of Idaho.

I have used Escondido Metal for years with very few issues. Always have what I need in stock and a large inventory of remnant material. For my harder to source material (example: 4" .250" wall 4130 tubing) I use Earl M Jacobs (EMJ) and they deliver next day.

Back