What's new
What's new

Buying metal in Temecula or San Diego area for small shop.

In the past year the wife and I have moved from Hood River, OR to Bonsall, CA. One thing I gave up was a 5400 sqft shop that I had just finished as well as constant wind, 6 months of rain per year, a month of snow, boiling summers and a yard that could be best described as the earths mantle in the summer and goose grease and ball bearings in the winter. Now that I’m getting settled in and am retired I need to start working on projects here such as a gate entrance and an excavator quick attach. I’ve got all the typical manual tools, lathes, mills, various welders, bender. I deserve some retirement fun without the hassle of “I need it today.” What I request from you fine gents is referral to metal supplier in north county or Temecula that sells retail small amounts to full sticks, plate and DOM with reasonable prices and bright smiling personalities. Any recommendations of where to go and who to avoid?
Flail
IMS and Marshals Industrial are great sources also, when you are in Fallbrook, the Ace Hardware store has a good selection of small fasteners Easy to get to since you live in Bonsal. hope you like SD county.
sounds like you won’t miss the winds and rain.

Jim Murphy
San Marcos, Ca

Flail
IMS and Marshals Industrial are great sources also, when you are in Fallbrook, the Ace Hardware store has a good selection of small fasteners Easy to get to since you live in Bonsal. hope you like SD county.
sounds like you won’t miss the winds and rain.

Jim Murphy
San Marcos, Ca

Thanks,
Funny you mention the Ace hardware. I was there the other day looking for square neck, flat head plow bolts to repair the cutting edge on my tractor. They did not have them but I’ve bought them in the past from Ace hardware in Hood River. I ended up ordering them in the am from McMaster and had them in the afternoon!

I like to close the loop when I ask these sort of questions.

The other day I submitted an RFQ to Industrial Metal Supply down by Miramar for some 6” x 6” x 20’, 1/4 wall material and 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 x 20’ x .188” tube steel.I received a quote within 24 hours. I paid the quote over the phone and this morning showed up and was loaded within 10 minutes, no fuss, no muss. I wandered into the retail outlet and looked around and they have quite a selection of precut materials in steel, aluminum. Copper, brass and more. All the workers were pleasant and helpful. Paid on average $1.32/pound for material. I sent RFQ to Tusker and Escondido metals and did not hear back. Your mileage may vary, I’ll go back to IMS in the future.

Back