What's new
What's new

CAD/CAM choices Siemens NX or Fusion 360

bdubb180

Plastic
I am up to renew our cam license, currently we are using Edgecam but the company is giving me the option between fusion 360 and Siemens NX. we are also in the process of upgrading our shop newest machine on the floor is a 2022 DMG Mori 2500/700 lathe with live tooling. I would like to hear some opinions on which Software would best suit this. We run production as well as R&D through the shop.

Toyota Camry or Chevy Corvette?

The Camry is probably better if you just need it for picking up groceries, but if somebody else is paying I'll take the Corvette every time.

I won't touch 360 with a ten foot pole. Do a quick search here, there are a dozen threads on why.

NX is rather expensive, is probably overkill, and has a steep learning curve from what I've heard, but it's very powerful.

IMO the car analogy would be Pinto vs Koenigsegg.

I am up to renew our cam license, currently we are using Edgecam but the company is giving me the option between fusion 360 and Siemens NX. we are also in the process of upgrading our shop newest machine on the floor is a 2022 DMG Mori 2500/700 lathe with live tooling. I would like to hear some opinions on which Software would best suit this. We run production as well as R&D through the shop.
VERY odd set of options...
regardless of what's in the options, NX all the way IMO.
i dont think there's a cad/cam package out there right now that can hold a candle to it.

I won't touch 360 with a ten foot pole. Do a quick search here, there are a dozen threads on why.

NX is rather expensive, is probably overkill, and has a steep learning curve from what I've heard, but it's very powerful.

IMO the car analogy would be Pinto vs Koenigsegg.
i wouldnt say its very steep. at least it wasnt for me. i got 4 2 hour training sessions online and was up and programming parts after the first session.

My vote would be for NX, it will not hold you back with limitations, and the newer versions are quite approachable in terms of learning curve.

I use NX much for design and quite a bit for milling cam. I spent a bit of time learning how to use it but once you know how it is not to difficult. The NX lathe cam I never got my head around. Spent a bit of time playing with it and so far not much joy. Probably would be easy if someone who knew how to use it showed me. Fusion 360 I opened up and had the lathe stuff doing work in under a day. The big thing with fusion is the number of people using it and sharing. For the price is it worth playing with. Take NX and fusion (virtually for free), see how you get on with both...

Why only those 2 options? Why not consider all of them if you are switching?
We’re considered a global account. We work with the vendors directly and not local resellers. That’s how they are able to negotiate these multi-million dollar agreements for an over 2,000 CAD/CAM/PDM/PLM user base. Auto desk and Siemens are the Vendors on our Vendor list. What would be your recommendation other than those 2?

Last edited:
The only reason I know of to get AD Fusion 360 is cost. They are far and away the cheapest functional CAM out there, but it comes with a whole host of restrictions.

If they're offering to get you NX, that seems like a no brainer to me.

We’re considered a global account. We work with the vendors directly and not local resellers. That’s how they are able to negotiate these multi-million dollar agreements for an over 2,000 CAD/CAM/PDM/PLM user base. Auto desk and Siemens are the Vendors on our Vendor list. What would be your recommendation other than those 2?
You've got 2000 users and are asking on a forum what other vendors to consider?

Dassault, Siemens and PTC are the vendors you should be considering.

As they say in the UK, I think your taking the piss.....

No brainer, NX is clearly leaps more advanced. That being said I hope whoever makes the buying decision knows available NX licensing options to make it more attractive.

Back