What's new
What's new

CAM for Doosan DNM? I'm using Fusion 360 for CAD..

slodat

Aluminum
I'm currently using Fusion for CAD and CAM on my old Tree J-425 with Centroid control. This setup has done me well. I'm approaching buying a new machine this year. I'm leaning hard toward a DNM with a 4th axis. Price is right, especially for the features at the price point.

I started looking into the CAM side of things this evening and I'm swimming in vague info. Do I need a separate CAM package? I will be doing some 3+1 and some true four axis stuff, I think. I've read a lot of threads on here, and I'm still coming up not knowing what I will need. Is there a third party post that I should consider?

I know there's a lot of options. I'm just not sure where to start. I appreciate your time, and thank you in advance.

If you want access to the recent 3+1 and 4th simultaneous you'll need the user subscription ($545) + the machining extension ($1600) but they just had a sale end something like 30% off. They did a large update to the 4th toolpaths back in November after long development

Note I've read on the forums you need a post mod or special post for a Doosan Vertical with 4th but that should be readily available by now

I’ve been a subscriber for years. I have no problem with the machining extension. I’m having a hard time deciphering if the Autodesk post is sufficient or if I need something after market. And if so, what/where do I get it?

there they discuss just using the F360 Fanuc post and modifying for 4th and then

looks like someone developed a dedicated post and is selling it

ya it's unclear exactly what's avail...

I’m having a hard time deciphering if the Autodesk post is sufficient or if I need something after market. And if so, what/where do I get it?

I'm assuming you have gone here https://cam.autodesk.com/hsmposts to find posts? If you haven't, hit the "any vendor" tab then scroll down to Doosan. They have 3 posts listed for Doosan. Mill/turn, 3/5 axis VMC, and turning.

The 3/5 axis Doosan post will have to be modified if you are wanting to do 4 axis. The process is not that difficult but it can be a little daunting if you haven't done it before. I use Inventor and have modified posts in the past to work with 5 axis machines. Inventor and Fusion use the same posts.

If you are just wanting someone to modify posts for you, Autodesk has partners that can do it:

Here is a good primer if you feel like you want to tackle modifying a post:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/hsm-post-processor-forum/getting-started-modify-posts/td-p/6371381

Also on Youtube, NYCNC has pretty good videos on modifying Fusion posts:

There is nothing special about Doosan machines. You can use any Fanuc 4 axis post. In fact, I have used the generic 4 axis post in Mastercam many times. You might get some weird M codes for coolant and such, also 4th axis clamping, but it works. Should be easy to edit in such a case.

Back