What's new
What's new

Camworks What?? Origin.

JohnWLMT

Plastic
We are about 3 months into the latest and greatest CamWorks Wire EDM Pro.

Sent this request to my VAR a few days ago.

"I need some help on the proper procedure for moving the coordinate system after toolpaths are applied to geometry.
I am having no luck with this.
I move the SolidWorks coordinate system and regen the tool paths, but they don’t update.
I tried reselecting the geometry after moving the coordinate system. No go.
I tried unselecting the coordinate system and reselecting and no go.
I tried deleting the coordinate system and adding a new one. Then reselecting geometry. No go.
Seems like deleting the coordinate system and all the toolpaths and starting over works in some cases. But even then, the new toolpaths still have ghosts of the old toolpath?

Any advise?"

Believe it or not this is the response I received.

"Hi John,

This would be a known issue for the system. Currently, we recommend that Coordinate systems be set prior to the geometry for this reason. Otherwise, you would need to create the feature again.
We're working to have this updated in a future release.

Thank you,"

So what they are saying is you can't move or change the coordinate system after you have programmed the part.
You would need to delete all the toolpaths and the coordinate system and start again??

They must be kidding. This is not Beta it's the latest release?
I don't think this is something I should have to wait to be resolved as part of my maintenance.
This is a critical flaw.
And the scariest part is that there are no warnings at all.
You move the coordinate system and the toolpaths appear to update....except the code is still from the old origin.
Scrapped some parts for sure.

And like I mentioned above in my question to them even if you delete all those things there are still ghosts of the old coordinate system in the published code. Most times we have to just ditch CamWorks wire for that part and use another software or we need to export the solid and bring it back in to give the file an exorcism.

Thinking this should be one of the very first things that would be sorted out in the development. WTF?

John

"I need some help on the proper procedure for moving the coordinate system after toolpaths are applied to geometry.
I move the SolidWorks coordinate system and regen the tool paths, but they don’t update.
I tried deleting the coordinate system and adding a new one. Then reselecting geometry. No go.
Seems like deleting the coordinate system and all the toolpaths and starting over works in some cases. But even then, the new toolpaths still have ghosts of the old toolpath?

Any advise?"

"Hi John,

This would be a known issue for the system. Currently, we recommend that Coordinate systems be set prior to the geometry for this reason. Otherwise, you would need to create the feature again.

Thank you,"

So what they are saying is you can't move or change the coordinate system after you have programmed the part.
You would need to delete all the toolpaths and the coordinate system and start again??

I don't think this is something I should have to wait to be resolved as part of my maintenance.
This is a critical flaw.
You move the coordinate system and the toolpaths appear to update....except the code is still from the old origin.

And like I mentioned above in my question to them even if you delete all those things there are still ghosts of the old coordinate system in the published code. Most times we have to just ditch CamWorks wire for that part and use another software or we need to export the solid and bring it back in to give the file an exorcism.

Thinking this should be one of the very first things that would be sorted out in the development. WTF?

John

I don't know anything about the Wire EDM module for CAMWorks, I use CAMWorks for milling and have had similar issues when programming a 4 axis wrap feature, I found that I can avoid the issue by selecting and setting my coordinate system before I select any geometry, but if I make a coordinate system change it tries to default to the part origin, I submitted it to my VAR and it was found to be a bug within the wrap operation parameters. I don't have the issue with any other operations.

Any advise?"

"Hi John,

Thank you,"

This is a critical flaw.

John

I have had this once in a while where I can't move the coordinate system. If this happens, save your program and restart solidworks. This seems to fix this problem I have had in the past. Another way to move your coordinate system is to create a sketch and select. I had odd places that I could not snap a coordinate system unless I created a sketch.

I have had this once in a while where I can't move the coordinate system. If this happens, save your program and restart solidworks. This seems to fix this problem I have had in the past. Another way to move your coordinate system is to create a sketch and select. I had odd places that I could not snap a coordinate system unless I created a sketch.

I agree this can happen but at this level there is no warning. I will try a few of the options you suggested.

It's made me lose all confidence in the software. Scrapped a few pieces.

It's actually showing the origin moving and it verifies from the new origin. But the G code is still from the old origin.

This is also happening when you move a face that has a toolpath applied. It shows the toolpath moving and verifies on the new face but will not update the G code. When you verify on the machine it's still the old dimensions. Change the size of the dowels after you program the wire paths and it appears to update but I doesn't.

Not really sure I can use the software like this. We have put it on hold for now. Just can't trust it.

John

I agree this can happen but at this level there is no warning. I will try a few of the options you suggested.

It's actually showing the origin moving and it verifies from the new origin. But the G code is still from the old origin.

This is also happening when you move a face that has a toolpath applied. It shows the toolpath moving and verifies on the new face but will not update the G code. When you verify on the machine it's still the old dimensions. Change the size of the dowels after you program the wire paths and it appears to update but I doesn't.

Not really sure I can use the software like this. We have put it on hold for now. Just can't trust it.

John

I've been able to catch it within the NC Editor Backplot. An extra step that shouldn't be needed but it has saved me, I've also scrapped parts due to this and blew up my spindle due to a bad code not following what was programmed/simulated, so now I look at the Backplot in the NC Editor to make sure there's no odd lines going someplace randomly.

I can say, I've had similar issues with other software as well. Worked at a company years ago, programmed a horizontal, part had a 18 hour cycle time they decided to run over the weekend, came in to a scrapped part, 1.25" depth pocket for some reason tried to go 18" deep. Everything was programmed correctly, nothing within the parameters showed it trying to go 18" deep, but the posted code was incorrect, VAR couldn't give us any answers as to why it even happened.

John

Did you do a rebuild after moving your coordinate system. Go to the tools pulldown menu, and select camworks arrow over and rebuild. I always use this option when moving coordinate systems/ zero sets.

Did you do a rebuild after moving your coordinate system. Go to the tools pulldown menu, and select camworks arrow over and rebuild. I always use this option when moving coordinate systems/ zero sets.

Yep. Tried all that.
It’s a known bug.
If you can call a complete lack of function a “bug’.

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. Tried all that.
It’s a known bug.
If you can call a complete lack of function a “bug’.

John

You have to be doing something wrong here to have this many problems with this software. I have used it over 15 years and I rarely have a problem with CW that I can't figure out.

You have to be doing something wrong here to have this many problems with this software. I have used it over 15 years and I rarely have a problem with CW that I can't figure out.

That’s what I thought too.
CamWorks Wire Edm Pro is a completely different piece of software.
It doesn’t install with CamWorks.
It’s a separate install and still very new.
By very new I mean “not finished”.
It uses a completely different way of applying the work coordinate system than CamWorks.
Not sure why they did that. It was already working in all the other CamWorks products.

Word I’m getting from my VAR that is apparently been handed down from HCL is that it’s broken.
Can’t be reliably moved after the tool paths are applied. You must delete all operations and the SolidWorks coordinate system and start from scratch.

While this works in most cases. Not all.

I have had to export the solid then bring it back in as a dumb solid to shake the ghosts.

John

It uses a completely different way of applying the work coordinate system than CamWorks.
Not sure why they did that. It was already working in all the other CamWorks products.

Word I’m getting from my VAR that is apparently been handed down from HCL is that it’s broken.
Can’t be reliably moved after the tool paths are applied. You must delete all operations and the SolidWorks coordinate system and start from scratch.

I have had to export the solid then bring it back in as a dumb solid to shake the ghosts.

John

I have had some success with deleting all the operations as well as the work plane and stock. Then starting again by adding new stock.

John

John

I am not familiar with the Wire EDM pro version of CW. I guessing from what I just read it still being developed. This reminds me when CW back in 2005-2006 changed the finishing operation to contouring operation and my lead in and lead outs got truncated. The kicker was new programs everything seemed to work fine but opening up an older program and rebuilding it removed code from the programs. This bug sucked big time. Hopefully CW will get this straighten out for you.

We are in the process of setting up CW EDM pro and having a post built for us. From what I've been told by our VAR is that the old EDM CW software was developed by the same person as the new. The old one had it's own issues for sure(at least for our post and CTC database). But it sounds like the developer parted ways with CW to keep developing the software some time ago and now CW is getting the new product back in.

We are in the process of setting up CW EDM pro and having a post built for us. From what I've been told by our VAR is that the old EDM CW software was developed by the same person as the new. The old one had it's own issues for sure(at least for our post and CTC database). But it sounds like the developer parted ways with CW to keep developing the software some time ago and now CW is getting the new product back in.

Would like to hear your comments on it once you get your post and begin programming parts.
There is very little information available on it so far.
For what machine?

John

Here are a few questions to ask.

- Can I wire cut an assembly file or do I need to save it as a part?
- What’s the difference between Rebuild/Force Rebuild?
- Want some more info on the splines to arcs feature
- What is the meaning of “First cut type” in the machine setup dialogue?
- Is there a way to collapse all operations with a shortcut?
- Not really clear on the global glue stop options for day and night
- Can I copy operations to similar parts like a merge solid?
- Switching from day to night burning strategy after the part is programmed.
- Getting error. CL file not found when I select post NC. Works on second click.
- Will core cutting work on a tapered die opening?
- Proper procedure for changing the origin after the part is programmed.
- Slug Tab Percentage in machine setting won’t stick. Always reverts back to 100%
- Long explanation of the use of the tech db.

John

Would like to hear your comments on it once you get your post and begin programming parts.
There is very little information available on it so far.
For what machine?

John

I dabbled with it for a few minutes, so haven't had a chance to really feel it out. Still waiting for a post and not sure when I will receive it.

We have a Mits FA-20S.

- Getting error. CL file not found when I select post NC. Works on second click.
- Slug Tab Percentage in machine setting won’t stick. Always reverts back to 100%

John

These are great questions. It seems like you are using this software already? If so, have you reached out to support through your VAR or CW for answers? I'll keep these in mind once I get a chance to really sink my teeth in.

I dabbled with it for a few minutes, so haven't had a chance to really feel it out. Still waiting for a post and not sure when I will receive it.

We have a Mits FA-20S.

These are great questions. It seems like you are using this software already? If so, have you reached out to support through your VAR or CW for answers? I'll keep these in mind once I get a chance to really sink my teeth in.

I have reached out. They have been very responsive.

Have worked thru a lot of issues.
I will admit most of the issues were with not fully understanding the software.
There doesn't seem to be an orderly flow of operations like in CamWorks.
Lot's of jumping back and forth in the toolbar.

There is no way to edit the Tech DB or even see what's in it. Kinda makes it useless.

Some of the answers have been a little frustrating. Especially like moving the origin problem.

My VAR has suggested saving multiple copies of the file for different operations on the same part.
While this works it's not ideal.
We use configurations a lot. (CamWorks Wire EDM does not seem to fully support)It gets confusing really fast for the people on the floor when you have copies of files with configurations.

Hoping there will be a new version released very soon.

John

Received my Mits post. Was told that SP2 for EDM Pro is out (Mar-24) and that I will need to verify if the updated cutting conditions in there work for our machine. I will start messing with this tomorrow.

John

This was detailed in the help menu as such:

Rebuild All:

◦This option will generate and/or update the toolpaths required to cut the part on a Wire EDM machine based off the features in the Machine Manager.

Rebuild All (force):

◦This option will regenerate toolpath for all features regardless of if there have been any changes.

This was detailed in the help menu as such:

Rebuild All:

◦This option will generate and/or update the toolpaths required to cut the part on a Wire EDM machine based off the features in the Machine Manager.

Rebuild All (force):

◦This option will regenerate toolpath for all features regardless of if there have been any changes.

Thanks.
Didn’t see that.

Keep me posted.
Great to have someone else here using wire.

Received my Mits post. Was told that SP2 for EDM Pro is out (Mar-24) and that I will need to verify if the updated cutting conditions in there work for our machine. I will start messing with this tomorrow.

Installed SP2 last night, will give it a go this morning.

Are you able to edit the Mits cutting conditions list in CamWorks?

Not available for the Sodick.
Would be nice.
There are a few edits such as wire speed we have to edit on the machine for every part.

Tried opening the file to edit but it seems like it’s an encrypted SQL file.

John

Back