What's new
What's new

Can Anybody Identify This Piece of Equipment?

Relentless70

Plastic
Just bought a Bridgeport vertical mill, have not received it yet. I have posted a pic of the mill with an item installed on the left side of the milling bed. I'm not sure what this is. Anybody have any ideas? Thank you!

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 185
I believe that it is a K & T Model H dividing head giving that BP table a hernia there.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
I recognize the "blue" curtain in the background. An HGR buy? That dividing head is probably worth more than the mill. Post more pictures when you get it home.

I believe that it is a K & T Model H dividing head giving that BP table a hernia there.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
I recognize the "blue" curtain in the background. An HGR buy? That dividing head is probably worth more than the mill. Post more pictures when you get it home.
Yes, it is an HGR buy. Good call! I may have paid too much for the machine(1945.00 after tax, 1800 to ship), but I figured that thing on the milling bed would have some use also. I had a feeling it was some type of dividing head. I'll certainly post more pics in this thread when I receive it. Thank you for your help, 4GSR!

Yikes! On the shipping! I hope they do a better job of tying it down on a pallet than what I had to deal with from those guys! Luckly, I got my stuff somewhat safe and sound.

Hopefully they remove that dividing head and power feed before they ship it. Or you may have two or three, albeit shorter mill tables by the time it arrives!

Last edited:
The dividing head looks more like a knock off of a Brown & Sharpe trunion type. K&T and Cinci were made to drive from the right side of the table when facing the controls.

The dividing head looks more like a knock off of a Brown & Sharpe trunion type. K&T and Cinci were made to drive from the right side of the table when facing the controls.
Agreed. I think someone took one and flipped the head over 180° and mounted it on the left side. Note the long input shaft on the back end. K & T is the only one I know of that has that arrangement. Can a K & T head be flipped like that?

The Van Norman 10" vertical nodding universal dividing head (they also made a horizontal yawing dividing head!) has the same hand as in the photo, with the gear train input on the left when the index plate is on the front. However, it's not a VN, as the VN input is lower down and not as large.

The book says K&T head can be rotated from 5 degrees below level to 5 degrees past straight up. But the input shaft is fixed to the housing and doesn't rotate with the body.

The mill hasn't shipped yet, should be shipped sometime this week. I'll give them a call, see if they will run the knee to the very bottom, maybe at least pull off the power feed. We'll see what happens.

Why did you buy that particular machine? I spent two minutes and found knee mills within 500 miles of Boise.

The mill hasn't shipped yet, should be shipped sometime this week. I'll give them a call, see if they will run the knee to the very bottom, maybe at least pull off the power feed. We'll see what happens.
Good luck on getting HGR to do such a task. There might be a person who has the mentality to know how to do so if you're lucky. If not, it ships as is. Try to get them to supply a picture of the mill ready to ship for you.

Suggested by shape and color, that looks like it was a nice Euro dividing head originally, and may still be nice.
Does not at all look like those B & S clones.
It has some sort of pneumatic or hydraulic actuator, probably originally synched with the weird feed motor hanging off the table.
To make crates full of parts with repetitive cuts around each part. If the accessories are still functional & not butchered to adapt them, they could be useful and fun to play with. The table, OTOH, might have a lot of short stroke wear in one area?

Received the vertical mill about 3 weeks ago, took pics of the unit. Looks to be some sort of dividing head made by Mecatecnica in Spain. It appears to be missing some parts, namely an indexing ring. If I was fluent in Spanish, I could probably find good info regarding this. At least there are no issues with the vertical mill, seems to work just fine.

Attachments

• dividinghead1.jpg
    dividinghead1.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 16
  • dividinghead2.jpg
    dividinghead2.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 16
  • dividinghead3.jpg
    dividinghead3.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 16
  • dividinghead4.jpg
    dividinghead4.jpg