What's new
What's new

Can anyone help me identify this lathe?

Harlech

Plastic
It's a 16x30, serial 16923, Year of Manufacture: 1942 I am told. It appears to be a D1-something cam-lock spindle, unless my eyes are going bad.

IMG_1557 (1).jpg

I didn't set out to buy a Monarch, really I didn't. You know how these things always happen. Can you guys tell me anything about this lathe? Maybe a model? Maybe who it was originally sold to? Maybe even the original date it was sold?

Harlech

It's a 16x30, serial 16923, Year of Manufacture: 1942 I am told. It appears to be a D1-something cam-lock spindle, unless my eyes are going bad.

View attachment 341043

I didn't set out to buy a Monarch, really I didn't. You know how these things always happen. Can you guys tell me anything about this lathe? Maybe a model? Maybe who it was originally sold to? Maybe even the original date it was sold?

Harlech

Download the pdf in this link
Monarch Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints - Model M 20" Engine Lathe - Brochure | VintageMachinery.org

Here is some other monarch manuals and literature. Look at the ones in the.1940 through 1945 range. I don't know what year Monarch changed models again. There is plenty to look at. Calling Monarch may get you more information on build date and original purchaser.

Monarch Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org

Photo Index - Monarch Machine Tool Co. - Engine Lathe | VintageMachinery.org

Monarch Machine Tool Co. - Photo Index | VintageMachinery.org

Models look similar. You will have to verify.
Photo Index - Monarch Machine Tool Co. - 14" WAA | VintageMachinery.org

Call Monarch at 937 492-4111. Give them the serial number. Tell them you want the manual and build sheet. The build sheet will tell you who was the first customer, dealer etc. Plus other details about the lathe. It'll cost $50-$70 probably.

1942 Monarch

[QUOTE

Harlech
As others have said: go to Monarch to get details of the lathe and get a manual, if you don’t already have one.
All I can add, great looking lathe. From the photograph, everything appears to be there. Hopefully, it runs as good as it looks

Jim Murphy

Back