What's new
What's new

Can anyone tell me about these Hendey Lathes?

Harlech

Plastic
I am looking to buy one of these two lathes, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about them? The serial numbers are 33891 and 35277. From looking at the serial number list, it appears that one was manufactured in 1941, and the other in 1942. Any additional information would be helpful.

Also, can anyone tell me when Hendey ceased production?

Thanks,
Harlech

Harlech:

Hendey lathe No. 33891, a 14 x 30, 12 speed, Geared Head model, was completed on November 9, 1942 and sold through the Defense Plant
Corporation to Scoville Manufacturing Company, Waterbury, Connecticut. It is a Raised Swing model.

Hendey lathe No. 35277, a 16 x 54, 12 speed, Geared Head model, was completed on June 26, 1943 and was sold to Hershey Metal Products
Company, Ansonia, Connecticut. It is a raised swing model.

Some Repair Parts are still in inventory and all of the original drawings are still in the files, so part can be made if required. All
of the original Order Forms are still in the files which detail the items shipped with the lathe. Please note that the information listed
in the Serial Number Books does not always agree with the factory records. Keep in mind that the dates I post are the dates that a
machine was shipped and not the actual date that a machine was completed. Hendey did that because of cancellations and other problems
that would remove a machine from the production schedule.

Hendey went out of business not because of poor management but because of a corporate raider named Fredrick Richman. He bought Hendey
for about $2,000,000 in 1952, saying he would expand the company. About this time , it would appear that he had made a secret deal to
sell off a portion of the company to Barber Colman, Rockford, Illinois. While the arrangement was kept secret, the Barber Colman name
appears on some of the production drawings in 1953. During October 16, 17 and 18, 1954, the plant and equipment was sold off for about
$3.5 million, netting Freddy Richman approximately $1.5 million and putting about a thousand people out of work.

Hendeyman

Thanks Hendyman and Johnoder. I can'r really decide which one I want. The dealer also has a 16x30 Monarch as well, but for some reason, I am drawn to the Hendeys.

This may be a useless question, but I would love some input from the community. Would you go with Hendey or a Monarch? And if you went with the Hendey, which one? These are going into a home shope... so I can make, well, stuff. I am not a machinist, nor do I play one on TV. I expect a fair amount of what I will be doing will be smaller parts. I am not going to be rebuilding axles or driveline. My intended use is for gunsmithing. Would the 30" be sufficiently long for that? Hendeys seem to have a good reputation for accuracy, and I am told that the ways are 8/10. I don't know anything yet about the Monarch. I am really jazzing on preserving a piece of US Manufacturing history. Hope you guys can help sort a newb out.

Harlech

Your decision should be based on condition and suitability for use rather than manufacturer. You have provided no pictures to allow us to help with your selection. If you chuck a barrel, is the headstock short enough you can still indicate the muzzle? How are the ways and the spindle bearings? You can't afford to fix either one of those if they have problems.

Best of luck in disappearing down that rabbit hole.

I will be doing will be smaller parts

Both 12 speed Hendeys are SLOW - like less than 600 top end. You are limiting yourself for small work - especially if you are the type that only wants to buy modern cutting tools down at the Machine Shop Supply (rather than grind up your own from high speed steel (HSS)).

Yes you can make the Hendey go faster - but do you want a project lathe?

Post up photos - maybe we can comment on what spindle nose it has. You may know Hendey was still selling threaded spindle noses as an option in those days (rather than L or D type).

Here is one of the how-to threads on photo posting

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...res-south-bend-forum-372508/?highlight=photos

have fun

Thanks for everyone's replies.

The dealer has told me the 14x30 tops out at 1100ish and the 16x52 @ 800. I will have him send me good pics of the QCGB to verify. I have no idea about the Monarch yet. As to pics, I guess I can post the links to the Ebay listings. (Hope I am not violating forum policy by posting them for this purpose)

14x30
Hendey 14 x30" Classic Engine Lathe | eBay

16x54
HENDEY 16 " X 54 " HEAVY DUTY ENGINE LATHE WITH TAPER ATTACHMENT GEAR HEAD | eBay

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions and comments! They really are helpful.

Harlech

Back