What's new
What's new

can anyone tell me about this mill-drill...PICTURES.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eric reimer

Plastic
I just got this mill for a great price, however, it’s a 3 phase and I want to go for a single phase. I did see the converter forum; I’ll hit that up later. I was just hoping someone in here could give me a little info on where to start. Info on this machine would help me out tons. I didn't get any info on it, so I guess a booklet or operators Manuel would be helpful. I did contact the rutland-airgas company. I e-mailed the person some pics of the mill, but never got a reply. Any opinions on this machine also, things to watch out for ect. I’ll stop rambling for now, sorry for the newbie type questions.

Anyway, I’m not a machinist; I’m a MM2 in the Navy in San Diego working on the 688 subs as a mechanic.
Glad to have found this forum, looks like alot of experience in here.

here are a few pics of the mill.....

mill%20002.jpg

mill%20003.jpg

more pics in here at the bottom of the page.....
http://www.trinitysmustangs.com/ref2.htm

thanks
eric

I use one just like it routinely. It's sorta a piece. I does ok work when you baby it enough, but it isn't much fun to use. The belt change mechanism blows goats (pardon the expression, but it's applicable). On my particular unit there's a lot of vertical slop in the quill, so it's very difficult to set a depth accurately by touching off.

The quill will also slip a lot if not locked down really really tight, and it's a pain in the ass to have to realign the head when you want to move it up and down. There are no way wipers, so you have to be very careful about cleaning chips off the ways, otherwise they'll get under there. Generally it's not much fun to use, but it does function.

-Justin

Got something similar- mine is a Warco Mill/Drill.

Had it 10 years- built like a brick s***house!

Mine is single phase 250V but works OK.
Modded mine with a slow feed.
Got a 4" swivel vise, a Vertex dividing head and tail stock, rotary table and a fistful of other tooling.

Like every other mill, it's the tooling that proves or disproves it.

At the price and being prepared to do a little work on it- you have very sound but basic machine.

Have fun

Norman

Here's a manual that should provide you with some information. It's written in what you'd call Engrish. http://www.use-enco.com/Machinery/105-1117.pdf

Are you sure that the motor is 3 phase? If so, it would be the first 3 phase mill drill I've ever heard of. Are you sure it's not just 220V? It will say explicitly on the name plate. If it's genuine 3 phase, we can help you out. The boys over in the phase converter forum are pretty sharp.

Nick :cool:

Years ago I bought a mill drill at an estate sale.

It had a tag from Wholesale Tool Company on it.

Needed a part, so I called them.

The person at Wholesale Tool laughed at me. What he told me was that they bought items like that from various vendors. The vendors went over to Taiwain ( at that time...now it's China ) and bought a lot of tools from some manufacturer, brought them back over here, and peddled them.

It was all a one time deal. When they were gone ( sold ), they were gone. No parts support what-so-ever.

The good news was that everybody over there was copying everyone else. Turned out a Jet part fit.

Supposedly Jet and Grizzly support their product. Also Harbor Freight does to some extent. A lot of the other vendors provide no support.

It appears the same design as other brands. You can learn how to use it from the other brands. Hopefully you won't need any parts or if you do, can find a part soemwhere else that works.

Besides, you'll end up like all the rest of us here and trade up to something else.

Instead of switching the motor out for a single phase look at a VFD. It will let you use the same motor as a variable speed motor and avoid a lot of the belt changes. I used to have a mill drill almost identical to that one and it was pretty good for what it was. You do have a lot of table travel and room under the spindle, and they are a hell of a lot more reliable than the geared head machines. Some people on the forum trash them, but making chips with a mill drill is a lot more fun than not making them at all.

I had the same mill/drill as my first machine. It was a Rutland tool just like that except it was green and probably a little less worn. It was enough to get me hooked and back into metal working after two decades away. It helped pay for my old Bridgeport on it's way out the door. As far as I know it is a rebadged Rong Fu RF-30 for which there is a lot of information available. The RF-31 is being sold by many companies these days including Grizzly and Jet. Some guys turn out much nicer work on those machines that I am capable of on my bigger mill, but I'm still learning.

I'd look to add a VFD instead of changing it to a single phase motor. You should be able to do it for about the same amount of money, less hassle and when you're done you'll have a variable speed drive that will let you change speed with the twist of a knob instead of the stock step pulley belt change PITA. MY BP's a step pulley machine and the VFD that's going to replace teh static converter is sittting on the shelf waiting to be installed (yeah!).

John

FarmallMan
here is a picture of the data plate from the motor...
mill%20004.jpg

i'm simply going by the plate. you learn....or in you case see something else ;) everyday

thanks for the info guys.....next stop, the phase converter forum. thanks a mil..eric

105-1117 manual

Can anyone share the manual for the 105-1117? The links posted in this thread don't work anymore. Also, is there a service manual available for this mill ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back