What's new
What's new

Can I use a 10hp 200/208V 31amp motor as an idler motor for DIY RPC ?

dmartin.dlm

Plastic
I have found a Baldor 3 phase 10hp 31amp 200/208 motor at a good price but I’m not sure if the 200v motor will work as an idler motor?
I want to run a 10hp 24” planer on it but I’m having a hard time finding specifics on what the voltage of the motor needs to be to generate a 3rd leg.
I’m (probably obviously) a novice to this type of electronics, so any help explaining how the motor voltages matter would be a GREAT help. Thanks

It will work as a 208V RPC if your input power is 208V. Your planer motor should be 208V.

If you look on the nameplate of the planer motor you will see what voltage range it was wired for.
If the motor is different, like 230V/460V, then I would not use a 208V RPC with it.
But maybe someone thinks different.

If you input power is something like 230V then I would not use a 208V motor for your RPC.
But maybe .....

You have to start with the planer motor nameplate and go from there.

Last edited:
The usual deal is you need a larger idler than the largest load motor.

Planers are fairly high inertia, and qualify as somewhat hard starting. You may even need a 20 HP idler.

People DO get away with matched motor and ilder, but usually not with tougher loads.

Ok thank you all. I have found a 15hp 3phase motor to work as an idler but it’s 460v !
Can I use a transformer to step up my 230v to 460v , then step it back down. And would I balance the 3 legs after the step down transformer? And wound this be a lot more difficulty an expense?

Thanks yall

And sorry for my late response. I must have a phone setting wrong bc I didn’t get notifications of replies.
I thought no one liked me!!!!
Just kidding. Most people just ignore me.

I just wanted to say thank you for everyone’s help and this platform . Y’all’s knowledge is Greatly appreciated and valued by me and others I’m sure. I’ve spent hours going through threads and learning ,so I appreciate everyone who puts there own time in to respond for free so we can learn.
And I did find another motor. Which is a brand new 20hp motor Baldor and the guy is will to give it to me for $300. Half the asking and I say that so other people looking should tell people what there budget is to sellers bc I’ve seen that people get tired of having them around and eventually just want them out of there shop. Thanks again

Back