What's new
What's new

Can you Peck + Chip break in Brother Speedio?

Finegrain

Diamond
Hello,

Without programming separate toolpaths, is there a way in a Brother Speedio to add chip break to a peck drill cycle?

Thanks, and regards.

Mike

As in G83 or G73?

Not sure what you are talking about.
G83 pecks by Q value, with a full retract between pecks. For getting coolant down into deeper holes.
G73 retracts a tiny bit every Q value, but never fully retracts. For preventing bird's nests around the drill.

I want a cycle that does both -- no bird's nests, and full retract occasionally to get coolant down into the hole.

Regards.

Mike

HOw deep are you going?
IT is so fast the amount of time you are going to save in the difference between the two is fractions of a second.
While I am annoyed by the lack of many cycles in the brother, you can call an internal sub program that is the series of Z moves you wish pretty easily.

Making it an external sub program would enable you to easily copy and paste it to a new sub and change the depths.
I do this with my back burring programs with very little trouble.
As mentioned you can write a macro but you need dozens of different hole depths and many thousands of holes to make up the time required to even think about it.
i know heidenhain has a decrementing drill cycle, but again, the brother is a little limited in this regard

I can spec that in Fusion, to include the peck depth and retract intervals, and it post a bunch of G1's and G0's. It's inelegant and bulky, but the Brother inhales code and has plenty of memory so who cares....

You might be able to get away with just dwelling a short bit instead of actually pecking or pulling out any. I might trying mixing absolute and incremental programming. Repeating the pecking portions by calling a sub, retracting out completely at whatever absolute Z- distances of your choosing. Calling a sub would make editing the pecking routine portion easier. I say this without knowing anything about the Brother control or the kind of depth you're talking about.

Brent

Why are you drilling with canned cycles? They are a leftover from hand programming days - output raw G01/G00 motion and be done with it.

Why are you drilling with canned cycles? They are a leftover from hand programming days - output raw G01/G00 motion and be done with it.
My POST only outputs canned cycles.

Greg, you saw what sort of work I have these days. Quantity dozens, sometimes hundreds, but lots of different parts every week. I need my CAM to output code as close to finished as possible. If you know of a MasterCAM POST that has more subtle drill code than G73/G83, I'd be happy to try it out.

Regards.

Mike

Last edited:
You can go into the Control Definition and change the output to post longhand drilling cycles with one checkbox. Control Definition-->Machine Cycles-->Mill Drill Cycles and uncheck any of the ones you don't want output as canned cycles

Greg, you saw what sort of work I have these days. Quantity dozens, sometimes hundreds, but lots of different parts every week. I need my CAM to output code as close to finished as possible. If you know of a MasterCAM POST that has more subtle drill code than G73/G83, I'd be happy to try it out.

Regards.

Mike
I'm curious, does this include the advanced drilling path? Because that could work well for you if the post isn't in the way.

TK has you covered above, and you'll love it. Total control over the drilling cycle!

Literally the only thing I use canned cycles for anymore is G77 Tapping, since I don't believe there is any other way to synchronize spindle motion and feed (I think there may be, but haven't looked too deeply into it).

Regards.

Mike
Are you current with your maintenance? They just added this recenty. It's maybe in 2021? You can have I think 10 different peck amounts or something like that. Haven't played with it but it's in there. All in G1's and G0's.

No programmable reducing value for G83, this is REALLY limiting. The canned cycle for thread milling looks interesting, although I haven't used it.

Attachments

• 722DA00B-134B-404F-844C-A71859F746CD.jpeg
    722DA00B-134B-404F-844C-A71859F746CD.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 31

Back