What's new
What's new

Centerquic Laser Centering Device. What is your experience?

dgfoster

Diamond
Centerquic Laser Centering Device – CENTERQUICs

I have been thinking about getting one of the Centerquic devices to use when I don’t quite need edge finder accuracy but would like something better than using a scale or dividers. In my shop this comes up pretty often. I am aware of a number of cheaper and shop-made devices. However, this tool looks to be more convenient to use than anything else I have seen to date.

So, I am asking for input from folks as to their experience good or bad with this device and/or recommendations for other setups they prefer.

Denis

Hi dgfoster:
It's a gadget.

I don't see where there is a big enough advantage to makes me say..."I NEED one".
I suppose being able to use it without removing your tooling is useful.

Is it expensive?
Would you use it a lot?
Can you live with the low accuracy?
Is it worth it to you to have one?

If the answer to the last question is "yes" then you should get one, especially if it doesn't break the bank.
Let us know if you're still using it after a year.:D

With regard to other ways...I've used a dial indicator and a dowel pin with a 0.100" thick gauge block to pick up centers and edges on manual machines for decades.
I don't even know anymore where my Starrett edge finder is...I haven't seen it in my toolbox for years (it's in there somewhere...I just don't know where).
My ex business partner swore by a Haimer Taster...I tried it once and went ..."meh".

But then, I don't drive a cellphone either.
Maybe I'm just old and grouchy about these things.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Responses in Bold below.

Hi dgfoster:
It's a gadget. know, but for me perhaps a handy gadget
Yes, I agree it is a gadget. But if it in actual use it works well, I think it is a gadget I think would enjoy using.

I don't see where there is a big enough advantage to makes me say..."I NEED one".
I suppose being able to use it without removing your tooling is useful.

Is it expensive?,
About 160 USD. But then at my age, I don't feel compelled to save the money Ive earned so that my heirs can spend it.
Would you use it a lot?
I think I would use it daily
Can you live with the low accuracy?
As I mentioned, there are often times I don't really need to be accurate to a thou or less but still want to be "pretty close."
Is it worth it to you to have one?
If it is well-made and works like they show in the video, then, for me, yes.

If the answer is "yes" then you should get one, especially if it doesn't break the bank.
See above
Let us know if you're still using it after a year.:D

With regard to other ways...I've used a dial indicator and a dowel pin with a 0.100" thick gauge block to pick up centers and edges on manual machines for decades.
I don't even know anymore where my Starrett edge finder is...I haven't seen it in my toolbox for years (it's in there somewhere...I just don't know where it is.
This is for those times when I need to get within a 10 thou of center quickly. I too have used dowel pins, gage blocks, and DI's. They work great, but are slow.
My ex business partner swore by a Haimer Taster...I tried it once and went ..."meh".

But then, I don't drive a cellphone either.
I've heard there are folks that don't chose to own one.... ;-)
Maybe I'm just old and grouchy about these things.
Not unduly.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Thanks for your thoughts.
Denis

Back