What's new
What's new

Chamber throat questions

A gizzy [for this application] is designed to measure how far you are moving the shoulder during the sizing operation, not case stretch or trim to length. Use the gizzy to take measurements of a fired case and a resized case and compare the measurements. The difference is the amount the shoulder is being moved during the sizing op

I will leave this alone for the moment.

I guess I will say it...The gizzy would meaure case stretch from the datum point to the head if the shoulder had been push back and then filled the resulting headspace when fired. So, by comparing a fired to sized brass, I should be able to see a difference in that dimension....I hope that I have it right .... Butch....

Thanks for the help from all of you. I purchased a Wilson chamber gauge...about the same as the Gizzy, and found that the guy had been bumping the shoulder back on the cases. They were about .005" shorter than new or fired unsized brass rounds. So, it is going to go back together after I open the throat to spec. I am sure that the brass was the main issue after all that!

Hope you charged him for all the false leads and not being up front about the reloading procedures.

There is no doubt that I will. Especially about noting that new factory rounds did the same. Not! I have lost a bit of hair over this one thinking those things were valid.
Well, I cleaned up the throat today, and the unit is going together and out to the range later this week weather permitting. I am pretty confident that it will be fine now
Again, thanks for all the input.

Back