What's new
What's new

Change 10 inch hydraulic chuck to a 12 inch manual

Starturn815

Plastic
Has anyone changed a MMK 10" hydraulic chuck on a turning center to a Bison12" manual self-centering set-tru chuck?
The reason I want to do that is; because this lathe has a 3.54 spindle bore, so if I mount a 12 inch on it, I will have a larger bar capacity, otherwise the max bar capacity is 2.54". Another reason is, a manual chuck is more universal than a hydraulic chuck, it can hold stock down to .4 inches without readjusting the jaws like on a hydraulic chuck. A am not planning to set up this machine for automatic operation so that wouldn't be a problem with this manual chuck.
Ant feedback will be greatly appreciated.

I run my big Mazak CNC lathe with a 15" manual 3 jaw chuck. Been that way for 9 years now. Works great for the low volume parts I run.

Here's an example of a simple bushing job.

What spindle nose is on your lathe? It should be possible to buy a chuck adapter to go between your spindle and the new chuck. Many lathes have A2 spindle noses. If none are available, you may have to make one. Bison's catalog has a section for chuck adapter plates.

I ran my QT10 with a manual chuck for few years too. Found it much more handy for job shop work. And i needed the bigger bar capacity too. Lately we are doing more production so have hydraulic chuck on again. Both have their pros and cons for sure.

Back