What's new
What's new

Changing chucking direction Smart NL 2000BSY lathe

Cuda

Hot Rolled
The shop got this multi-axis lathe in last week, trying to set up the first job and had to switch from a 3-jaw to a push to close collet chuck, now I can't find any way to tell the machine the chuck works backwards. Control is a Fanuc 0i
It has a Chucking Direction key switch but when it is set to O.D. and I chuck a bar and try to start a program I get a OPEN chuck alarm. Just spent an hr. digging thru. the .pdf's that came with the machine but found nothing on chucking direction other than the switch. I could just reverse the switch but then the bar-feeder Alarms out because it thinks the chuck is OPEN. Any suggestions?

CITIZEN F16

Titanium
Strange, I have a Fanuc Ot and the direction switch change is all that is needed, sorry I am of no help.

Cuda

Hot Rolled
Is that a typo?
Push-to-close chucks should be set to ID chucking....
No typo, as I said if I set the switch to I.D. chucking the lathe will run but the bar-feeder won't because it thinks the chuck is OPEN when the lathe thinks it's closed. And I see no way to tell the bar-feeder the chuck is closed.

SeymourDumore

Diamond
No typo, as I said if I set the switch to I.D. chucking the lathe will run but the bar-feeder won't because it thinks the chuck is OPEN when the lathe thinks it's closed. And I see no way to tell the bar-feeder the chuck is closed.

Well, then your beef is with the barfeeder and not the lathe, as it HAS TO BE SET TO ID!

CITIZEN F16

Titanium
Well, then your beef is with the barfeeder and not the lathe, as it HAS TO BE SET TO ID!

Agreed, does the OP have the manual to the barfeeder? If not list make and model. Worst case you could chase down the wires and add a component or two and fool the barfeeder. If the barfeed company is still in business I would call them first.