What's new
What's new

Changing Spindles in Bridgeport Mill Erickson to R8

Chris Epping

Aluminum
Hello, I have a Series 1 manual Bridgeport mill with the Erickson 30 Quick change spindle. If I wanted to change the spindle out and put an R8 spindle in it, what is required to do this? Just the spindle, spindle and bearings, nose piece, or what else? Where is a good place to buy a new high quality USA made R8 spindle? Thanks,

Chris

Why in the world would you ever change from 30 taper to R8....R8 sucks in about a thousand ways. Be happy you have a better system.

I figured that would be the first response! Only reason to switch would be because all my tooling for the other machines is R8. Maybe I'd be better off getting a set of collets for this 30. Would appreciate any recommendations on what type of set to buy.

Are there any downsides to the quick change 30 system?

But besides the question of wether 30 or R8 is better, I am just curious if it can be done, and what it takes. Thanks, Chris

I think the smartliest way to make this extremely ill-advised swap would be to find a used, entire ready to go quill. A few minutes to slip one out and the other in. This approach offers the best of both worlds, with the added benefit of less fooling-around time to make the switch.

I uderstand your reasoning, the ability to share tooling with the other machines in your shop. Can't argue with that one, 'cuz it make sense. But by simply swapping the quill, you have a reversible solution that will allow you to enjoy the benefits of both types of tooling.

The hardest part will be finding the quill. I'm no B'port expert, so I don't know what will and what will not interchange, but if you can use the quill from the VS machines, it may be possible to find a whole reasonably priced head with a clapped-out variable speed system. This is the direction I would be looking. Of course if the VS stuff is worn-out, so may be the quill. But that shouldn't be too hard to verify before buying.

Steve

The BP quills were factory matched to quill housing bore. Around a couple tenths clearance...

Doubt you will find a replacement that fits properly. Or you have a Sunnon hone and experience to fit an oversize quill...

The match number was located underneath quill scale.

So either swap entire head to someone, or replace spindle (you may need a new set of ~$325.00 P4 class spindle bearings, removing them damages them, if the new spindle has worn bearings)

VS speed quills and quill housings are identical to step pulley quill housings and quills..

The BP quills were factory matched to quill housing bore. Around a couple tenths clearance...

Doubt you will find a replacement that fits properly. Or you have a Sunnon hone and experience to fit an oversize quill...

The match number was located underneath quill scale.

So either swap entire head to someone, or replace spindle (you may need a new set of ~$325.00 P4 class spindle bearings, removing them damages them, if the new spindle has worn bearings)

VS speed quills and quill housings are identical to step pulley quill housings and quills..

If I'm not mistaken, I don't think we're talking about replacing the quill. Just the spindle inside the quill. Question is, does the Erickson 30 and the R8 spindle use the same bearings or does it take different ones and can you take them in and out without damaging them?

On a different note, how does the tooling work on the Erickson 30? Can you use collets, chucks, MT, JT, or what type of adapters are available to work with this tooling system? Maybe I'd be better off to learn about the Erickson sysytem. Where's a good place to buy tooling? Thanks,

Chris

Well, tell ya what. I am going to be picking up a series 1 at the end of the month. It has that pesky R8 spindle in it. I plan to change over to an Erikson 30 Quick Change. I will happily trade you if your spindle and bearings are in as good of shape as mine. Seriously...

[email protected]

Back