What's new
What's new

Charmille RoboForm 200 won't boot up

Corey_dude

Plastic
I have an issue with a Charmilles RoboForm 200. The area the machine is in was powered down in order to do building maintenance and we were unable to get it to boot up after power was restored. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do next. I'm hoping someone might have some ideas. This is what I have done so far:

When the green "start" button is pressed, the contactors pull in and the fans and monitor turn on but all I get on the screen is "initializing" followed by "no service".
I check the power supply and everything looks good. (proper voltages and no ripple)
I then Stripped out any boards that aren't necessary to boot up with no change.
Monitor works when hooked up to an external source. Cables swapped out with known good ones, no change.
Replaced each of the essential boards one by one with no change.
While doing so, I found a blown capacitor on the memory board and a burnt spot on the back plain next to the cap.
Replaced back plain, no change.
Replaced batteries (they were found to be weak) no change.
Connected oscilloscope to different points on the boards and check for clock signals on all 8088 chips, 8087 chip and the crystal oscillators. (All seemed fine but I'm not sure that this really tells me a whole lot.)

Everything I can think of has either been verified or replaced. The only problem I can see is that some of my spare boards came from another unit which had also failed to boot and was eventually scrapped. So I am unsure if these components are any good. (mainly the CCU COM board)

Does anyone happen to have any suggestions or ideas as to what I can try next?
Any help would be appreciated as we are dead in the water for the foreseeable future unless I can get this thing running.

Edit, I'm in Nova Scotia Canada. If anyone has a contact for a Charmilles repair tech that can service my area I would love to get in touch with them.

Hold one of the Blue Buttons while pushing the green start.
I've tried holding Menu and Page while pressing start. (as if I was looking to reload software) and also holding the blue reset button while pressing start. (along with every other combination I can think of. )

Back