What's new
What's new

Charmilles Robofil 510F restoration - parameters?

Dime is Money

Plastic
I figured I could share a project I have been working on; a 1996 Robofil 510F I bought a couple years ago in hopes of using it to make a few small radius cuts in aluminum parts. Long story short, the machine crapped out on me right before moving it. Turned out the fanuc cooling fan died which cause the PSU board to fry. After replacing that, it completely dumped all the software and lost all the parameters. I sort of gave up on the machine but at the beginning of the year I decided to completely overhaul it and get it running again. Hell, it's taking up 50sqft of the shop so it better be something other than a large centerpiece!
A couple things I need to figure out before starting some test cuts again is finding the parameters for this machine. Does anyone have, or know someone who has, a 510F to help provide the factory parameters? Unfortunately the local tech was having issues using hyperterminal to load the parameters so I will probably hand type them all in.
The other issue is my dirty tank pump is leaking out the top of the pump tube part. The machine sat dry while I deployed overseas which was probably a mistake, but I think the seal at the top cracked from it. I can't remember if it leaked before or not.

I'm horrible at taking "before" photos, but this thing was kinda nasty (understanding there are probably worse machines out there). I might have went a little overboard on what I cleaned but I like nice looking equipment in my shop. I don't have the money for new equipment but I got the time to make old look new! It at least makes me feel a little more proud of the stuff in my shop. When I'm back in town this week I will update with more before and after photos. What you see are the dirty and clean tanks. The dirty tank had easily over an inch of crud that took a lot of scraping off. The clean tank looks like it had algae in it? It was slimy and would wash right off.

Attachments

• IMG_8573.jpg
    IMG_8573.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8576.jpg
    IMG_8576.jpg
    650.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8577.jpg
    IMG_8577.jpg
    763 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8578.jpg
    IMG_8578.jpg
    506.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9368.jpg
    IMG_9368.jpg
    457.5 KB · Views: 11
I bought 2 Charmilles 310's a few years ago and they were in about the same shape as yours! 1994 and 1996. I spent all of my time on the '96, (because it's newer, right!) Finally got it running and cut a couple of parts. I found that "The Works" toilet cleaner cleans the crud off pretty good, BUT make sure to rinse everything really well. I wish you well, and I'll be following along as you keep going. ------------- john :cheers:

Time really does fly by...
I got the machine fully reassembled and cut my first part on it today. I'm cutting aluminum about 2.5" in height, and I can get the rough pass just fine but whenever I try to use the E7 technology for a finish I get back to back wire breaks. Not sure why.

Here's some pics of the machine all cleaned up!

Attachments

• robofil clean 1.jpg
    robofil clean 1.jpg
    616 KB · Views: 8
  • robofil clean 2.jpg
    robofil clean 2.jpg
    903.9 KB · Views: 7
  • robofil clean 3.jpg
    robofil clean 3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • robofil clean 4.jpg
    robofil clean 4.jpg
    564.1 KB · Views: 8
I bought 2 Charmilles 310's a few years ago and they were in about the same shape as yours! 1994 and 1996. I spent all of my time on the '96, (because it's newer, right!) Finally got it running and cut a couple of parts. I found that "The Works" toilet cleaner cleans the crud off pretty good, BUT make sure to rinse everything really well. I wish you well, and I'll be following along as you keep going. ------------- john :cheers:
Did you get yours with the Charmilles control or Fanuc? Mine has the Fanuc and, as someone who is not a machinist, it is a constant struggle learning this control. It's not hard but if you don't know anything then it makes it really difficult

Both of them are the Charmilles control. I've never used the Fanuc control on an EDM - plenty of Mills and Lathes. I have always wondered if it would make learning the machine easier with Fanuc, and prior experience. I learned to operate a Charmilles sinker (Model 810), back in the '90's. Most of the commands to move, measure, and setup both types of machines are the same.
I just saw the pictures of your machine. Really nice job of cleaning!! Does your machine have the onboard CT Expert, or something else? I haven't cut Aluminum yet so hopefully someone with experience will help. -------- john :cheers:

Back