What's new
What's new

Chipped corner on 2 flute end mill. Any fixes?

Go to Ebay. You will probably find a new end mill for cheaper than trying to fix this one. It may take a week or two to find the exact one you need.

Any time I need a mill that is an expensive size and may only be used once, Ebay is where I look.

I bought a new Kyocera 3/4" solid carbide end mill six months ago for $17. It took weeks looking to find one this cheap but was worth the wait.

Thanks for the advice. I try to get all my milling tools off ebay as well because of the great prices. I got this Niagara 3/4" shank 1" cut diameter hss end mill for $12. I will be looking out for a similar one. But in the meantime I'll probably experiment with the chipped corner as regardless of what I mess with down there it'll still make a good roughing cutter.

I will be attempting to grind some relief into the chipped corner. I will slowly remove material then try cuts in aluminum until I get a desired finish. If not, it'll look good taped to the front of my mill to remind me to properly fixture parts.

I find doing hand work like that on HSS a lot easier on a small belt sander..
The cheap little ones, a 1x30, they are only like $50, used to be only $20.

On the bench grinder thing. The cheap ones are too darn fast. Even a 3200rpm
can be a little quick, and those aren't that cheap. Though I prefer a 1700, that's
where the green wheel lives.

I have an old harbor freight belt sander. I will attempt. Thanks.

Depending on where you're at I can put you in touch with a guy that sells tooling at decent prices. You can hand grind it or just use the sides to mill. Define heavy cut? light machines don't have the ass to do much heavy metal removal. Roughing end mills are your friend there and moderate cuts.

Heavy cut as in accidentally raising the bed while it was taking a light cut (dumbass move)..
I use a Cincinatti toolmaster 1C mill. I believe it has about 2.5hp it's 3 phase, and is geared, it has too much ass for my accident prone self if anything :Ithankyou:

Hi Cfar:
Here's a picture of cutters that have gotten the freehand treatment.
The one on the left is a 1/2" carbide endmill.I had to knock the corners off of... the one on the right is a 1" HSS endmill that's been rattling around in my toolbox for decades.
Both look like shyte and both cut just fine.
The HSS one got the "michiganbuck freehand technique" by somebody at one of the shops I worked at and it found its way into my toolbox.

Stop beating yourself up over this ....it's a cutter...cutters break, and wear out and get fucked up.
It's part of the gig.
Just take it to the bench grinder and nip off the corners until both flutes clean up.
Be sure to give it a bit of relief so it'll still cut.
Stuff it back in the mill and make some chips.

Cheers

Marcus
www,implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com

Attachments

• DSCN5514.jpg
    DSCN5514.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 46
Hi Cfar:
The one on the left is a 1/2" carbide endmill.I had to knock the corners off of... the one on the right is a 1" HSS endmill that's been rattling around in my toolbox for decades.
The HSS one got the "michiganbuck freehand technique" by somebody at one of the shops I worked at and it found its way into my toolbox.

Stop beating yourself up over this ....it's a cutter...cutters break, and wear out and get fucked up.
It's part of the gig.
Just take it to the bench grinder and nip off the corners until both flutes clean up.

Cheers

Marcus
www,implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com

I appreciate your kind words and advice

Hi Cfar:

It's part of the gig.

Cheers

Marcus
www,implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com

That can't really be Marcus posting. He's holding something bigger than a grain of rice.

You can do the grinding on the tips to make everything look nice and equal. But it will not give a good finish cut like you had before.
So what, you want to look in my drawer to see the chipped cutters I use. On some I mark "use first" because they are chipped.
Nothing to be ashamed of. In my opinion you should move up to 3 or 4 flute Niagara stuff.

Back